Pages

15 March 2010

Who's that knocking at my door?

I've been away from Granite Glen and should be doing a LOT of other things... like unpacking. And mowing. And washing. Instead I've been navel-gazing this morning. Well, not my ACTUAL navel (hello navel, long time no see!) but at who has been visiting me here.
~
It's yet another way I like to time waste (or as they would say in the ranks of the beaurocratic, 'research'). I like to look at my statistics and see which of my blog buddies and real life friends have been a-visitin'. Do you have stat counters on your blog? It's kinda like a two-way mirror - people can see into my world, but I can sneak a peek back and see their ip addresses and how they found me. I try to work out who is who, and I label visitors - some who have been visiting me forever, like Debby and Dykewife, and others who get my random tags such as 'Rocky Regular' or 'Lurker from Louisiana'.
~
Wanna peer in with me?
blogstats
This is a page I screen-saved a month or so ago.
This stat page breaks down into percentages what country visitors come from.
The details vary a bit from month to month, but generally it seems that...
~
Americans like me.
Well some of 'em anyways... more Yanks visit me than any other nationality.
Not sure why? Maybe y'all like my fake Texan accent?
~
Aussies don't mind me.
Well a couple of 'em seem to enjoy the piccies and bulldust anyway.
I suspect they are mostly family, checking to see who's (psuedo)name I have taken in vain, but the occasional other fab Oz blogger pops in from time to time too.
~
And Canadians...
Well one or two of the Canuck population also see fit to waste time at this little black blog. Even with the Winter Olympics on.
Go figure.

Something that always amazes me though is when folks from completely non-English speaking nations visit. And then come back. How on earth do they get anything from a completely 'Strine blog? I have regulars from France and Malaysia and Switzerland. Incredible.

So I decided to don my Nancy Drew cloak and investigate. I checked out a Swiss visitor, and clicked away to try and find out how they managed to get themselves remotely interested in Granite Glen, Australia.

And I found a link to this:swiss bushbabeblog

It looks like a normal Bush Babe page... but look closer...
swiss bushbabeblog1

I can speak Swiss-German!

Holy cow!

Who knew I was bi-lingual?

swiss bushbabeblog close

Did you know I visited Switzerland once? It's true. I loved it. Very Heidi and smartly dressed people in extremely tidy towns. I tried to read the menus there ... but gave up and pointed to other people's plates. I have to admit I am 'language-ly' challenged.

Except in the magic of blogland.
~

So today I'd love to find out WHO else is there, commenting and lurking? A couple of questions to let me know who goes there/here...

How did you get here?

Was it via another blog or a google search or a link from a friend?

What language do you speak at home?

I don't mind if you use a silly psuedonym - or admit you accidently stumbled here after googling 'vegemite' or 'mathalatics'. And I promise not to be offended if you don't understand a bloody word I say, think I am an uncultured moron and just come over for the photos.

Nein, bitte!

Yodel-ay-eeh-hoo!!

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coolies. I got a new name.

Lurker from Louisiana

LeeNJ said...

Well, BB, you got me wondering just HOW I found you. My best guess is it was via PW. If it wasn't, then I'm as clueless as you. Now about that language thing, I have to admit there are many things you say that just leave me stumped. That's okay, I often stump myself! I enjoy visiting you from up here in very rainy New Jersey (4" and counting since yesterday!)
Do you have day light savings time there? We just switched last night.

Country Girl said...

I think I may have found you on PW's site. Or did you find me? Either or, it's true that us Yanks find you interesting, if I dare say so.

A Novel Woman said...

I can't remember how I got here, but I'm glad I AM here!

From rainy Montreal, which I'm thrilled about because the SNOW IS MELTING! Whoo hooo!!

DAnna said...

I believe it was PW's blog. Enjoy your photos and a glimpse into the "land downunder"!

JENNY TALIA said...

I think you may have found me first? Not quite sure. And despite my vulgar, profanity laced blogs - you've been sweet as can be
That makes you a keeper!
JT
x

AnK Bowtique said...

Found you via a link from a friend - stayed because I love photography too, also live in central QLD - although not so sure I am close to you :)and have young children who enjoy doing all the wonderful things you blog about !! Ohhh and because I'm new to blogging and thought yours was great !!
Kristy

Pony Girl said...

Hey BB, I actually have no idea how me founds you!? ;) Maybe through a comment on PW's site? I'm glad I found you though!! I love checking out my stat counter...fun to pinpoint specific information about people's visit, where they came from, etc.
So does blogger do that language transfer? Do you have to click something in your settings to allow your blog to be in another language?

Anonymous said...

I think I found you via Jayne via Jeannie via Debby and then fell in love with the all the photos and the top chick posting them.
Have I told you how much you rock thsi week??? ... 'cause you do!

Maya said...

I'm a yank living in Adelaide. A regular reader, but seldom, if ever comment. Not sure how I found you, but love your photos and seeing what is going on in your part of the country.

BB said...

Working backwards (naturally):

Maya - HELLO!! How is Oz treating you? Always interested to know if Yanks find us laid-back or just plain lazy!

Corymbia - *hugs* Stop it already. You are making me tear up while in my Heidi get-up. Scary!! Heh.

PG - Gosh I am such a fan of yours now. I adore seeing bloggers blossom as they gain confidence - I have no idea about how the language thing actually works? Anyone?

AnK - you need to email me so we can work it out!! Am humbled by the praise (I am not worthy!).

Jenny - I suspect that my whole persona doesn't really make it to the final edit here. I like a little blue humour occasionally and fully intend to see you in full flight in the next couple of weeks - stay tuned everyone!!

DAnna - I owe a lot to PW. ANd not just my love handles apparently! :-)

ANW - My darling friend (on whom we may well descend whenever we get around to a North American visit... be warned!). Disappointed there will be no more snow pics... love me some white landscapes!

CG - I suspect I found you, but who can remember THAT long ago? If any readers have not already discovered Kate, please visit. She does ethereal and glorious like no-one's business. And her husband loves French whores. (Sorry, side joke there!)

Lee - my all-weather friend!! More rain? Stop being greedy you lot... heh. I think perhaps Ree is responsible for this hook-up too...

Micheal - you funny! Heh. And now properly labelled too.

Can I just say how much I appreciate each and every person taking precious time to stop and leave a message. I don't mind if you are busy and just glance in, but it really does make my heart smile to find a note after you have gone...
:-)
BB

Sally said...

Hi BB,

I'm from Melbourne and have been lurking around this site for awhile.
I honestly can't remember how I found it but I love your photos and stories of the bush.

Sally :-)

SleeplessInKL said...

Hey BB! I was just wondering about the same thing a few weeks back (i.e. the lurkers, err...I mean the visitors in my site).

I found you through PW and have been dropping by regularly even though I don't comment that often ^.^

Mimi

Lydia said...

Hi BB!

Love your site -- I found you through PW. Then I found Debbie through you!

Life in South Dakota is pretty vanilla, so I'm always looking for a little spice. Love your site!

Oh, and a couple of months after I found your site, 2 of my nieces moved to Sydney. How cool is that!

Lydia

BB said...

Sally - hello and thanks so much for de-lurking. I love having a name for that returning id on my 'visitors book'. Glad you feel at home here...

Mimi - my twitter buddy! A name to go with the cool blog handle... fabulous!!

Lydia - gosh, should I send PW a crate of chardy d'ya think? She's sharing all her good ones with me... who knew a smart alec comment here and there could lure y'all to the 'dark side' (or at least black blog)! Hope your nieces like Sid-a-Nee. One of my favourite places in the world!!

:-)
BB

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hi BB, I found you through Kim (all consuming) not so very long ago and fell head over heels in bloggie love! I love your stories and the pics of your side of the country. Also one of my bestest buds just moved back to Qld and, even though you're miles and miles away from where she is, reading your blog makes me feel closer to her - dumb but true :)

Steph said...

Hey BB, I'm a lurker from New England, USA. Found ya through PW (the oh-so-lovely "spurs" shot, to be exact) and have been visitin' ever since. Love havin' a glimpse into your world down under :)

Jayne said...

I think I stumbled into this joint via Jeanie's blog ;)

Pat said...

Hi BB,
I'm Pat in Minnesota, I found you through PW quite a while ago. I grew up on a farm and moved to the suburbs when I got married...so seeing life in the country through your blog is a treat for me. Love your photos and your sweet kids and your dog and your horses. :-) I also like your weather updates, especially since our weather is so opposite from yours...but I'm not too swift in translating the C to F degrees....so I usually just think, oh it must be really hot there. Anyway, I enjoy your blog and thought I'd say hi since I stop by almost everyday!
Pat

Mom L said...

Hi, BB!!! I knocked on your door after visiting either PW or my daughter, Diane - don't remember which!

I just noticed that you have some new "scenes from my world" showing to the right - fantastic!

Nancy in Iowa

Carla said...

I got here by blog surfing. First it was 7MSN http://www.the7msnranch.com/. Then I surfed her blog list. I was then led to Postcards from Arizona aka Horseshoeing Housewife. http://thehorseshoeinghousewife.blogspot.com/
I surfed her sites, and there you were.

I'm in Austin in the great state of Texas.
My hubby and I looked for jobs in Oz when we got married in Missouri. We couldn't get far enough away from my family. :) We settled on Texas.

Debby said...

I believe I wandered over here from PW. You were actually one of the very first blogs that I found. Then I wandered over to Jeanie's. Your blog has opened a lot of windows on the world to me. Just curious. Do I speak Swiss German too? In your comments? Just wondering. I've never spoken Swiss German before. It would make me feel darn smart to find out that I can.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bush Babe ~ I'm from Auckland NZ
Have been following for well over a year but have forgotten how I found you. Love your blog & all your antics. I holiday often in Queensland & have tried to work out where GG is but you are well hidden !! Love Oz. P.S You have a very interesting life.
Kind regards, Sue

Kelly said...

I comment here enough that you probably know more about me than you really care to. Anyway.... I found you through Debby (who I found through Bob, who I've known since birth in real life).

claireygirl said...

I guess I am your English follower, I came across you via Country girl while my daughter was travelling in Australia, it made me feel closer to her somehow. She is home now but I am still hooked. Love your photos.

Gina said...

i'm a new follower from texas! :) just found your blog, and i really like it.

Anonymous said...

Found you through your wonderful sister, of course, and as you know, I'd drive 500km just for the chance to meet up with you! I bet my ip address shows Sydney, but you know I'm closer than that! I love that you share a part of my country that is so very different from my own life, but in some ways so very much the same.

BB said...

RDM - awwww. You so sweet. Isn't Australia an amazing, vast land? I suspect I am geographically closer to Sue from Auckland than I am to you... does your friend blog?

Steph - holy moly. It might be two crates of chardy for PW. Wonder what the freight would be? P'raps I should just visit and deliver in person? Heh... glad you liked the spurs. You have given me an idea actually. Stay tuned. (Don't panic Ree - the tickets aren't booked yet!)

Jayne - you are right. Jeanie gets a chardy too!

Pat - right-oh! Am onto the conversion thing as part of my weather watches from here on. Can't have my readers confused (one of us in that state is quite enough!). Make sure you keep posting your weather though - gives me a real kick when everyone gets theirs up for comparison.

Mom L - hello darlin'! Have already told Di that if she wants to share I am totally adopting you...

Cee Cee - now those are two of my favourite places to go. Admit I'm more of a fly-by lurker there but those girls really represent American country to me. LOL at the last par. HAve you got a Texan accent yet?

Debby - not sure if it's you or Pencil Writer that are my longest-term, most loyal, non-related commenters? My soul sister. One crate of chardy for you too - man I might need my own plane at this rate!

Sue - YAY! A Kiwi out of the woodwork... glad you find it interesting here at GG. Do you blog? New Zealand is high on our list of places to take the family.

Kelly - never too much! Another chardy for Deb...

Clairegirl - yay! Mah very own Pom (I shall try not to get a plum in my mouth!). Thanks for visiting and staying on - feel free to share a little English perspective in this section!! (Been to your wonderful country and adored it).

Gina - welcome my Texan friend. Can you please comment with an accent? I love a Texan accent. I do a very bad one...

Trace - ah! Another Jeanie hit... and twitter buddy. So glad you see fit to subject yourself to regular doses of bush rubbish. And rain photos. Cause I know how much you love wet weather!!
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I came by way of PW or ANW, but either way, for me, it started with Books and Writers forum. Someone there (ANW perhaps?) got me started looking through blogs. Love your pictures, and the stories. Seldom feel I have anything to add. (And I'm usually stealing a peek from work's high-speed, where I feel guilty leaving a message.) Here's hoping you keep enjoying your rain--here in SE Kansas, USA, I've had all the floods I ever want. Not much fun when they come inside your house.

Best to you and yours!
Gretchen in Kansas

Pencil Writer said...

Aw, BB! Loved this post and the comments. I do believe Ree (PW) gets lots of credit for my finding you--and from you to Debby! I've loved your site from the beginning. Love the photos, the writing contests--what a hoot! Love your family--including Jeanie--and the look into the fab land of Australia. I hope that one day we can meet face to face. And Jeanie. And Debby. You brighten my days. Keep up the good work.

Kiwi Lindsay said...

Hi, from Hamilton NZ (yes ANOTHER Kiwi)! I can't remember how I found you, probably on a comment on a blog somewhere... but have been enjoying the writing and photo's ever since.

Thanks for sharing your life and your part of Australia with us.

Wonder who the last Kiwi to "de-lurk" is?

Anonymous said...

I found you thru your comments on PW's blog........shall I confess that I didnot watch a single Olympic event?
Signed
Theresa in Alberta, as in Canada eh?

Unknown said...

Hey BB...I think I found you through Loess is More (Diane...my friend). Since you are living in the wild in Australia and I want to go see your homeland so much and you post so many nice, funny, and cool pictures...I have stuck around.

dykewife said...

for the life of me i can't remember how i found your blog. it doesn't matter. what matters is that i did find you and have enjoyed reading about your life and loved the photos from the get-go. :)

i speak canadian, eh. ok, technically it's english...kind of.

Farmer Gal said...

I started stopping in this winter. Living in Minnesota, USA, and suffering through a cold winter, I loved seeing your summertime photos, and horse and cow operations. Now I just love to come back!

Scotty said...

Hiya BB - I believe I found my way here from Debby's place, and like everyone else, I love to drop in to see what photographic delight you've gifted us with. Language? I speak Strine but I'm still trying to learn some French...

Unknown said...

Hi Bush Babe-

I'm one of your regulars from Canada, I probably found you via PW like about half the commenters here.

Never in a million years am I going to get a chance to come to Australia, and even if I should win a million dollars and start a round the world trip to celebrate, I wouldn't get to see what your fabulously beautiful country is really like. That's why I come visit your blog nearly every day!

Catherine from Ontario

BB said...

Cat - here's hoping a virtual visit Down Under satisfies then... me? I think I might have to visit Canada for real one day - it's looks glorious!

Scotty - do you feel outnumbered? So many women, so few (brave) men in my comments section. Makes me wonder how many other blokes are just lurking (hey gramps!). Au revoir!

Farmer Gal - Minnesota always looks and sounds cold. Aren't your sportspeople right into ice hockey? Yikes. Love your blog too.

dykewife - wondered if you were going to pop your head in. I suspect you and I are the opposite, but the same...if you know what I mean!! THanks for hanging in here...

T Lee - my competitive photographer friend!! Love your work and your passion... and that you find something remotely interesting in cow photos!

Theresa - I am shocked and horrified. No Olympics... heck I have even gotten sucked into the paralympics (how inspiring are those dudes - I feel like the laziest woman in the world when I watch then!). Are you thawing out up there yet?

Kiwi Lindsay - grittings! I suspect I have some friends from 'real life' lurking down there still. LB, are you reading? Heh. Is it so different to your part of the world?

Pencil Writer - my dear friend! I also hope we get to hook up face to face - what a post that will be!

Gretchen - gosh I love your name. A Novel Woman gets a chardy for referring on a posse member too? I wonder if I shall have trouble getting her interested in a wine? heh. Hope your feet a dry again...

Can I just say how astounded I am to have so many of you have commented here - there are still many unidentified lurkers, but loving that about half the room are introducing themselves (to each other too). Party on dudes....
:-)
BB

DaddyNoBucks said...

Hi BB
From East Meadow, NY, USA. This is my second 365 project and I was following two of your countrymen through 2009. When their projects ended I started poking around their followers and stumbled upon your blog....

TJ said...

Howdy ... I'm one of your "Rocky Regulars" from the La Plata Mountains, a range of the San Juan Mountains, Southwest Western Slope Colorado. I lucked onto your blog via a link on a cowgirl's blog who said she was closing up shop (blog). Have been hooked on your enthusiasm for sharing your life and that of your family in your beautiful "neck of the woods" ever since. I write about wild horses ... have had a touch of the romantic for Australia ever since "Man from Snowy River," I say without a trace of shame. :)

jeanie said...

I believe my mother introduced us! :)

Pencil Writer said...

Jeanie, what would the world be like without your fun spin on life. "I believe my mother introduced us!......." Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, he, he, he, he, he. My eyes are tearing up. I love you both. If I ever by some miracle make it to GG, I hope you're there, too!

BB, whatever would I do without you?

Unknown said...

Hi Bush Babe,

I think it was indirectly through

http://lagringasblogicito.blogspot.com/

that I found you. Being an amateur photographer, I really enjoy your beautiful photos and also all of your going on's Down Under. It's always an adventure checking in with you in the Out-Back... Thanks for all your efforts, and for sharing your life. It does make a difference... I was just wondering how many people read your blog this morning - so funny and wonderful to see the German translation in your post...

Alles Gute,

Stephan

P.S.: I live in the San Francisco Bay Area...

BB said...

DaddyNoBucks- I love that you visit - adds to my 'blokes who are game to chat' list and gives me a giggle every time I spot your blogname!

TJ - oh don't worry - there are a few MFSR fans in the bleachers here!! (And I grew up hearing my dad recite it). FYI Rocky also refers to an Aussie town/city. :-)

Jeanie - oh, that rapier wit... heh! Shall we explore that a little more??

PW - are you trying to make the comment count on this hit 50? Great job!!

Zerohunter - I cannot see your blog info or work out how that site linked you to me... whatever, I'm glad you stop by. And you are quite correct - it is German and NOT Swiss German as I originally thought. What would I know?
:-)
BB

Unknown said...

Sorry I was a bit murky with my description as to how I found you. I think I was looking at lagringa's blog and began to browse through different blogs on blogspot and somehow found you. I honestly don't recall and it also may have been a search for vegemite and how to consume it... ? My dog really wants her own blog and that hasn't happened yet... her paws are too big for the keyboard and she doesn't quite have the dexterity to set the camera up on a tripod yet...

Stay tuned...

Reb said...

hmmm? PW? or Life's funny? Not sure, but the photo's keep me coming back :)
Reb

Heather said...

Hi BB. I'm a lurker from Canada, and I have followed your blog for a while. I think I got here via Mikey @ Horseshoeing Housewife.

I love your pictures, (commentary's not too bad either ;p) and enjoy seeing a part of Aussie life!

Linda D. said...

Hi BB: I am from Tucson,Arizona, USA. I stumbled upon your site from Rimrock English Shepherds (blog.rimrockenglishshepherds.com), which I stumbled upon from Daily Coyote.

Patches said...

Hi there! I've been lurking for quite a while, trying to get through all of your archives (while simultaneously trying to appear "busy" at work, heh) so I can officially follow you. It's taken me a while, but I'm almost there!

I found you by looking through the blogs that some of my blog buddies follow...Pony Girl, Kuntry Girl, and of course I've seen you mentioned a time or two on Pioneer Woman.

I'm from the great Northwest... western Washington, US. I am just fascinated by all of your stories and pictures and Australia and the bush in general! Fabulous blog, thanks so much for sharing!