Pages

20 February 2010

A little marsupial relief

I am trying really hard to give you something OTHER than rain-related photos... really I am. But it's kinda tricky - all my inspiration is precipitation-based! (Try saying that three times fast!). But as I work on the next batch of flood photos... enjoy a couple of the onlookers snapped as we drove around inspecting the creeks and river yesterday.

This first shot is of some neighbour's cattle, who had all parked themselves on the road. Cattle tend to do this in the wet - I suppose it's warm and dries more quickly. They are perhaps under the impression that we put it there specifically so they could keep their feet dry... who knows?

rain_0326

These are Brahman cattle - aren't they gorgeous? They always remind me of exotic Indian dancers, with their dark kohled eyes and loose-limbed walk.

Then we arrived in our house paddock. Remember how we have a rule that any marsupials who happen to be in the paddocks closest to our house are 'safe'?

rain_0313
This lot are so sure of their place, they hardly even hop away when we drive by...
rain_0320
And some of them are taking it to the extreme...
rain_0318
Good lord - talk about laid-back Aussie critters...
rain_0318 crop
No. Please.
Stay where you are mate.
Lying down as if you are reclining on a sun lounge, waiting for the next margerita, is perfectly normal round these parts!
Don't mind us...

9 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

I LOVE kangeroo photos!!

If I could reciprocate with a shot of some moose, I would, but they're all buried under several feet of snow.

off humming Skippy, Skippy, Skippy the bush kangerooooooo.....

Carla said...

It looks like that big bull is on babysitting duty.

I, too, have always thought the Brahma breed was amazing and beautiful. We once had an intersection of two roads with a 4-ways stop that was surrounded by pasture on all sides. One day, I was stopped waiting my turn and admiring a big Brahma bull in one corner pasture. Pretty soon, a most mournful and terrifying sound came in my car window. The big bull was calling to the Black Angus cows in the field opposite his. It nearly made me just out of my skin!

Mom L said...

I always loved seeing the Brahman cattle in Florida where I grew up - they are so exotic. Even better would be if I could spot delightful kangaroos around town!!!

And thanks for identifying yesterday's critters....

Nancy in Iowa - still under snow!

Debby said...

Brahma cattle are quite exotic, but to this Yank's eyes, those 'roos are even more so. Some day. Some day I'll see them with my very own eyes!

Isn't it amazing how ordinary these things seem to you, yet to us, we're enthralled. Yet if you came to our neck of the woods, we'd take you to see the ordinary things of our own life, and doubtless, you would be just as enthralled.

Kelly said...

I don't know which are cuter... the kangaroos or the brahman babies!!

Anonymous said...

I love any photo you take, BB, so snap anything you want and post. You make everything look fabulous!

BB said...

Of course you all realise the roo is LYING down as if he is on a sofa, right? The grass is so long you cannot see his body clearly, but the dude is kicking back!!
:-)
BB

PS Deb - armidillos... seem like the most exotic thing in the world to me!

Farmers Wifey said...

Well you just KNOW these are my favourite kind of photos....

duchess_declutter said...

Well why would he move when he is in a sea of grazing heaven like that?