Been a while since we did the old 'Aussie wildlife behaving badly' thing here...
This set of snake photos arrived in an email sent through recently.
This set of snake photos arrived in an email sent through recently.
The accompanying description read:
"These pictures were taken by one of the road crew at Cooyar last week.
It took a total of 5 hours for the snake to finish off the Goanna. As you can see, they put some signage up so it couldn't be run over."
"These pictures were taken by one of the road crew at Cooyar last week.
It took a total of 5 hours for the snake to finish off the Goanna. As you can see, they put some signage up so it couldn't be run over."
...
Cooyar is on the Darling Downs in South-East Queensland.
Not whoop-whoop.
Under two hour's drive from Brisbane (capital city of Queensland) in fact.
I've not been to Cooyar - it looks awfully pretty.
When I do, I shall be checking the ground regularly.
My kids are smaller than that goanna!
Gotta love our Aussie snakes.
Blinkin' gluttons.
~~~
NB These are NOT my photos. I like to credit all photos used here, but these arrived without an original address.
If the photographer cares to contact me, I will place the credit here. Great shots!
23 comments:
Okay so that is just the weirdest thing I've ever seen! It's amazing those snakes can eat something so much bigger than itself! I surely would fear for my own legs if I got near that guy, LOL!
Do they have several stomachs to help them digest it down?
Figures... I can't spell check before commenting.
I HATE SNAKES... Okay I admit it... I'm a chicken shit when it comes to snakes... I HATE SNAKES!!!
Wow, scary and impressive. But mainly just scary.
This is off topic, but here we go anyway...
Dearest Bush Babe:
Something changed the in the world today for the better – can you feel it?
Thank You for all the great work that you do…
A photo that I would like to see, and this is your assignment, should you choose to accept it (this tape will self destruct in 20 seconds) is:
(A tripod or a willing third party – such as one of the young ones – likely will be required and please forgive me for being a newbie and maybe also occurring as a noob. If you have done this already – just do it again, okay?)
Your hand touching Mr. Incredible’s…
Thank You!
Oh my goodness! I have never seen a snake eat something so big before!! That is totally crazy!
My feral geek kid loved watching that, you now have a new fan lol.
That was amazing. I know snakes have hinged jaws and can stretch like that, but it still seems impossible that the dainty little black face could open up that much! I'm impressed with the work crew that was responsible enough to let nature take its course, with a little protective help from them!!
Nancy in Iowa
I have seen that photo set before but its still amazing every time I see it.
amazing, in an "circle of life" sort of way.......
signed
Theresa in Alberta
Wow…just…wow.
what kind of snake is that? beside a very large one?
I believe the snake is a black-headed python - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspidites_melanocephalus
I have taken shots of them here at Granite Glen here:
http://bushbabe.blogspot.com/2009/09/spring-time-wake-up-call.html
Not aggressive that I have seen - not venemous but very curious. Plus they eat other snakes.
:-)
BB
There are so many things I love about those pictures.
1. The road crew let nature do it's thing.
2. Snakes amaze me. That one takes 'unhinging the jaw' to a whole new level.
3. That you posted it. So many folks are terrified of snakes and this particular snake is one of the good guys. One to be saved.
Thanks for the cool post.
Holy sh!t! Pardon the language, but HOLY SH!T!! And I love snakes. I've only seen a garter snake eat a frog. This guy is like the T-Rex of snakes.
Holy cow! Aren't snakes amazing? I just can't even believe how much they can stretch. And that snake is so beautiful, i love it's markings. Just wow.
Um, do they slither away once the meal is all the way in? It doesn't seem like they could move very well.
And finally. The guy in the one shot looks hot...i really need to move Down Under ;-)
Incredible that it could eat something that large. I bet it took a while for digestion to happen.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-eek. Dadgummit it, BB, I wandered over here expecting to see pictures of 'green' for Ree's photography contest. Did you and NW cook this up for grins and chuckles? Was this a post designed to wrest shivers and small shrieks from Debbys? Just curious. Seems like it.
Wow!!! That's pretty darned amazing!!!
I find snakes fascinating.
That is about the coolest thing I've seen in AGES! Thanks for passing that along!
One word BB - Crikey!
All I can say is eeeeuuuuuwwwww!
I am so glad we dont have big snakes around here! ((Shudder))
I was eating when I looked at those photos and I must say I am now feeling a little squirmish...There are also some photos floating around on emails of a snake stuck in the barbed wire fence. Have you seen those. I just tried to find the email but I think I have deleted it.
Had not seen these before...
Post a Comment