Pages

17 February 2010

Weather Watch - duck!

A quickie tonight - home late from a 15 hour day out and about.
It's (just) Weather Watch Wednesday
and in this part of the world ...
.
Late yesterday afternoon we went from THIS
rain_0213
(taken while waiting at the bus stop)
to this
rain_0245
(taken from the kitchen looking over laundry roof, while cooking dinner)
and well...
Let's just say, we were lucky to get home from Big Town (3 hours drive away) tonight.
Water was lapping under a number of bridges on the way home... and Mum and Dad guessed the wrong way for the safest route home, and got to spend a night in a motel two hours drive away!
If you know my mother, this is not a terrible outcome.
If you know my father, it is.
Neighbour's Facebook messaged me tonight to let me know not to worry about the two utes bogged near the river. They walked home safely apparently!
rain_0250
Not sure if kiddos will get to school tomorrow...
.
Locals in central Queensland might have even heard me interviewed on ABC radio about the weather (I was a random choice of interviewee by the journo) - saying how welcome the rain was and how it was definitely not too much, and how our river was not running yet. I need to amend that. It is running now.
Yippeee!
But we are a long way off 'too much' yet.
Bring it on Hughie!
.
Forecast is for more of the same.

rain_0251

How 'bout you?

21 comments:

Debby said...

I looked at your pictures and found myself longing for a good gully whumper of a rainstorm, with thunder and lightning. I want to smell rain coming. I want to feel the wind bringing it in.

I'm about tired of snow. And more snow. It's flipping everywhere. *whine* I want lilacs (which are a spring flower, most delightful smell).

Gosh. Jeanie's right. A good whinge does help.

Our weather here? Not doing much. My friend in Iowa has a storm coming in. We'll probably see that in the next day or two. Right now? Not doing nothing outside.

Kelly said...

I'm glad you're getting the rain you want and need.

We only got a dab of snow last week (that arrived and melted within 24 hours), but I am tired of the cold (and I know my cold isn't really cold in comparison to others').

I look forward to spring!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I love those rain photos. I enjoy a good rainstorm

Anonymous said...

I'll append Debby's comment to say that we are getting snow showers now. I believe the weatherman has forecasted up to an inch of additional snowfall today. The temperature is trying to reach the mid-20s, about the same as it was yesterday.

I, too, am tired of the snow and cold. I want showers, but rain showers not snow showers. There is a saying that "April showers bring May flowers". Six more weeks and April will be here. I can hardly wait! For now, though, I keep looking for the first sign of Spring, which for me is a crocus poking up out of the snow. I think it will be at least a couple weeks before I see that first crocus.

A Novel Woman said...

Grey, overcast skies and snow. Blech. I'll take the snow if I get sunshine, but dull days are like dull knives, not much good to anyone.

LeeNJ said...

Here in the northern-most part of New Jersey...

High: 34F/1C
Low: 23F/-13C with show showers

The snow cover makes the day brighter that it deserves to be.

Anonymous said...

In the valley of the great Ohio River, we have lovely, lovely snow. It is so nice not to be muddy. Snow ... it makes my Jeep smile. - Bill

Jayke said...

The university I attend is closed today for a snow day!

Anonymous said...

In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Western North Carolina, USA, it's 30 degrees and sunny. We've had an unusually large number of snows this winter. It's still laying around on the ground waiting for more.

I long for the hot and humid weather of summer (during which I long for winter!)

Enjoyed your rain shots. Nonnie

Mom L said...

It's 14 degrees F right now in my part of Iowa, but it is very sunny and the ancient snow that's been piled on the ground since the end of Nov. sparkles! It hasn't been warm enough all winter to melt anything, so we still have all the leftovers from our Dec. blizzard. I still think it's pretty, but it would be nice to see spring flowers!

Nancy in SW Iowa

AKPonyGirl said...

Forecast for today in the Banana Belt of Alaska is high temps in the low 40s, lows below freezing; possibility of rain/snow showers. I really don't like this February chinook. It gets my hopes up that spring is just around the corner. Then the temps plummet to "normal" (below zero for the first two weeks of March) and I seriously consider a move south.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

It's another beautiful day here at the beach in Southern California. However we, like you, never take the gift of rain for granted. Fill er up! Your pictures are great.

jeanie said...

That was our day - well, except for the sunny bit or the nearly getting stuck bit - but the rain bit, oh yes we had that...

We had to go to our near by big smoke, but no chance of any motel trysts as the only road likely to be flooded is the one directly outside our front yard and we have four directions to approach that from.

Of course, any rain means V gets to spend quality time at home - he built furniture...

Danielle Michelle said...

I'll trade you the rain for snow! Then I'm sure I'll complain because the drive will be flooded!

However, the green would be much appreciated.

Leenie said...

LOVE that cloud photo. Duck weather for sure. Nuthin' new here. Just more snow.

Jayne said...

The sky here is as empty as a mother-in-law's heart :P

duchess_declutter said...

Lovely lovely rain - Hughie has done well! We have had buckets of it here too - not so much the last day or so.
However, a bit of a cooler change today (thank goodness) overcast and about 25 deg.C atm.

Anonymous said...

Here in North America our kids get "snow days". So Aussie kids get "rain days" eh? ;-)
BTW I am very happy for you that you are getting rain and the landscape will continue to be nice and green.
signed
Theresa in Alberta

jenny talia said...

I'll be in QLD in a few weeks
Where are you at BB???
Maybe we can have a coffee - or you could come to a show, but I don't want to scare you off - LOL!!

JT
x

Unknown said...

Rain for you! Yahoo! It's trying really hard to snow here...and not doing very well :-(

Anonymous said...

Glad you got some of that rain! 'Bout time eh!