.
Wagtail Nest, f5.6 at 1/800 second (pic below is f5.6 at 1/640 second).
I love these shots - love that the horse hair woven into the nest by the willy wagtails is in focus, while most of my hammy hand is not. If you look really closely at the bottom one, you can see some sort of seed pod (?) on the tiny twig at the back of the nest.
You can also still see the sticky tape - keeping it real!
Then I spotted fences, and recalling how many people had used chains to demonstrate shallow depth of field, I tried this...
Barbed wire green - f 5.6 1/800 second
And I am also LOVING that green!
This one, however, is the one I like the most.
Barbed wire rust - f5.6 1/800 second
It was shot where a fence ran in front of a pile of rusting steel pegs and coils of new barbed wire - hence the rusty red and the blue steel blur in the background. The only PS work done is to slightly up the contrast. *Hand on heart*.
I was torn between entering this one and the one above. I went with the one above... am not quite sure why...
I guess I need to get back to business now.
Sending off blade plough photos and paying bills.
Focus Bush Babe, FOCUS!
.
While I am gone, tell me, which shot did you like best? And why?
And did you know what a blade plough was before today?



13 comments:
BB, my favorite is the rust barbed wire; however, the two white spots detract my attention from the in-focus barb. The green is lovely also.
I was raised in the south in farm country and worked on farms so I've seen ploughs all my (long) life; but, I've never seen one like yours!
Love your work! Nonnie
No, I didn't know what it was and I STILL don't know what it is! What's its purpose? It looks like it could lay cable or something.
I like the barbed wire with the green background best.
I like the nest but the barbed wire is a good shot, as well. Ever since I saw Steve McQueen ride a motorcycle through a barbed wire fence in a movie, well barbed wire just frreeeeaaakkkksss me out just a tad.
Wow! Those shots are just WONDERFUL! That purple "weed" is that verbena? If so, we grow that on purpose 'round these here parts! The leaves look a teeny bit different, but the flowers sure look similar! Don't worry about having a bird's nest in your car...my neighbor just found a mouse nest in his! Yuck! I really love those nest shots. Reminds me of finding horse hair nests as a kid...I thought they were such a treasure. I keep waiting for the swallows to set up shop in Caspian's barn, but I don't think they've figured it out yet...they're using "our" barn instead...in the attic! ;)
Thanks so much for stopping by and giving your input on my last post! :)
Great shots!! I have had no daylight to practice in. I like the green barb wire shot. I posted a barb wire shot as my entry the other day, too! :)
The green barbed wire wins by a country mile. It's a spectacular shot with an almost graphic quality, and there's no fighting with the bokeh, which is clean and bright. Awesome shot.
And no, I don't know what that diggy thingy is. I'm pretty sure I could use one with all our snow, though.
Gosh, it's a tough call between the nest and the barbed wire. I do think I like the green barbed wire best, though. I saw your spur on PW's photog blog and loved it, too. I really need to practice some of this stuff, but I have had a hard time figuring out how to get that shallow depth of field. I was thinking the kit lens I have just wouldn't do that, but I think it goes about as far as yours does. Saturday I should be off work, so maybe I will spend some time messing with it then.
Not a type of plow I'm familiar with.
I like all the shots and of the two you debated between, I agree with the one you chose. However, I think I like the green one best overall.
You had a really nice photo walk. Great shots. Also I love how your signature looks like it is pressed into some of the photos.
Scott at World’s Best Photography Blog ;^)
I did know what a blade plough is...I grew up on a farm in Arkansas. Of course I never actually used it...;-)
My very favorite is the last shot...but I love both of the barb wire ones.
Further blade-plough information: the 'blades' (at the front of the picture) go right under the surface of the soil and the middle bar which holds it onto the plough proper is the bit that digs through the surface soil. It loosens up the compacted earth underneath with less likelihood of the topsoil being 'dusted up'. So I guess the topsoil is less likely to blow away or get washed away.
The End.
:-)
PS Thanks for all the comments - so interested to hear what you all liked. Maybe I should have entered the green one? No matter. It was fun and it made me think again about how I take photos...
:-)
Never heard of a blade plough before, never seen one, either. I think the barbed wire green is my favorte; don't know why—just seems somehow exciting and mysterious.
Post a Comment