Pages

25 February 2010

Flashback: Old (Dane) Gold.

There might be a bit of a pooch-flavoured week this week - blame Pioneer Woman okay?
Just thought I'd share another entry in her Dog Portrait assignment - and to be completely different from yesterday's last-minute shot, this one is quite an old photo.
.
This particular image was taken (on film with my old Nikon) in 2003. It was taken when we lived in a tiny little house in a suburb of Brisbane - married just two years and with a sweet little boy who would go on to be called Dash. Dash would have many little challenges in his life (back then) and we would spend much time in the house, rather than rollicking around playgrounds like most little boys and their doting mamas.
Luckily we had our own built-in play centre.
And his name was Cosmo.
bestfriends4eva1
Coz adored Dash and was intensely careful around him - things had been quite tense as we realised the extent of Dash's condition and his feeding and medication regime had pretty much grounded us, and this tension had made our bitumen-speckled (Blue Merle) Great Dane quite protective. Not in an aggressive way (he was NEVER aggressive) but he would mostly just park himself nearby and watch our little boy. Dash didn't move a lot, but this giant, steady, loving presence seemed to comfort him just by being there. Occasionally Dash would shuffle over (he never really did crawl) and just hung with Coz. The trust he had in this dog was really something. This confidence with dogs is something that stays with Dash to this day.
.
As Dash grew stronger, he would pull himself up onto the dog's back and Coz would sit steady and still. Waiting calmly. Being his plaything. Letting Dash pull ears and lips with a quiet "It's okay... he's right... it doesn't really hurt" look on his face.
.
This photo was scanned (with a lot of dust marks) before I lost the original. Using a very basic original version of Photoshop, I had monotoned and lightened the background for a card I made years ago - a card to thank so many people who had helped our son through his challenges. I found the file yesterday and thought I'd clean it up a little and enter it. I ran a sepia action on it (which included a border that I have almost removed) and then left it be.
.
You'd think after seven years, the power of this photo on my emotional state would lessen.
You would think after three years of Coz-less living, I would be over it.
But this photo never fails to make me cry.
I'm bawling right now, wiping stupid tears away before Mr Incredible sees me.
It's the look on Dash's face.
The one that says: He's mine.

28 comments:

jeanie said...

Gah - you got me too.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

What a wonderful photo, made more powerful by an emotional background

Red Dirt Mummy said...

It is a beautiful, beautiful photo. And yeah, you made me tear up too...

Kelly said...

This photo is spectacular!!! Dash, Cosmo, their poses.... it just can't be beat. (and I don't even have the emotions invested in it that you do!) I love it!!

I'm digging out an old photo of one of my pets for your entertainment. Should I come back here to post the link or to your last entry where you asked for them?

BB said...

Kelly - pop it into the last one - I might gather them up from there and pop them into a post later in the week.

Thanks y'all... I'm almost recovered from my bawling now. Hopeless.
:-)
BB

LeeNJ said...

That's a winner no matter which photo Ree picks!

A Novel Woman said...

Ah...beautiful photo, beautiful story.

Here's hoping you'll be two for two!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo, beautiful story(ies).
My nephew had similar heart surgeries (multiple holes in the heart, no weight gain + other issues associated with Down Syndrome) at about the same age in that same hospital about 9 years previously. Something profoundly distressing at seeing such tiny babies with such enormous "zippers". ... and something wonderful about the Drs and nurses at PCH.
My kids were reflux babies (we are still dealing with very mild reflux issues with Mr 5) and that was bad enough - I can't imagine how tough Dash's early life was ...and I'm thankful I was able to read his story whilst thinking of that picture of him "walking on water" from a few weeks ago.... so totally healthy and carefree.

Anonymous said...

what a couple of SWEETHEARTS!! I love this picture!!! I didnot see this photo in all of the entries, but I did see the one of Axel with Mr I's hand. There is just something about dogs "lips" eh? :-)
signed
Theresa in ALberta

Jenni said...

I was wondering if you were going to enter any of your photos of Cosmo. This one is beautiful, and, yes, it makes me a little teary-eyed as well.

Carla said...

My goodness, what terrifying beginning to Dash's life!
You are so brave to have moved beyond it and not have surrounded him with bubble wrap to keep him safe from other dangers. So wonderful that you're letting him be a little boy!

Dogs. You're preaching to the choir with this girl. I am deeply, madly in love with all dogs. I know exactly how you feel, crying 3 years later. The good ones never leave your heart. :)

Julie in Oz said...

Oh my word...Coz looks so regal and so ummm...fatherly.

Dash look very very safe with this old man.

Yeah....I'd cry every time I came across this too...I have a pet who passed which does that whenever I come across his photo...so I understand the instant love.

We are all sooo drippy arent we!

Debby said...

It's also the look on Cosmos' face. The one that says, "He's mine."

Mom L said...

It's beautiful, BB, and brings back memories of Fritz - my German Shepherd - staying quietly by Diane's side when she was a carpet crawler and beyond!!

Thank you,
Nancy in Iowa

Jayne said...

What a beautiful photo and the sentiment behind it says it all so clearly; they were good mates :)

Hippomanic Jen said...

Simply beautiful.

duchess_declutter said...

Gosh you know how to make a girl all teary eyed don't you!?! Great photo, great story, great memories.

Anonymous said...

Aww gee....

K said...

We just lost our collie a couple of weeks ago. And I am still sitting on the floor with my head in my hands. I don't know what I'd have done facing what you faced with your son. Ours was a pretty clear sailing - with only moments of panic. The shot is perfect. I don't say that about many things. The dignity of Coz, the beauty of the child. Your own obvious love. If I were there, I'd cry with you. I am crying with you. Mortality is tough. But how blessed to have loved a creature that much. And how blessed he was to have come to you in the first place.

Unknown said...

Cosmo!!! He is so beautiful and I LOVE Dash's face, priceless.

And PW picked your photo again! Must be because you take amazing photos :-)

A Novel Woman said...

YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Tara said...

This is a beautiful photo--truly breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo and the story. Now I am wipping my tears away.

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo and heartwarming story!

Congrats on being in the second wave on PW!

Nonnie

BB said...

Thanks everyone - how wonderful to wake up to kind comments and alerts to a Pioneer Woman selection!! If you guys haven't been to check out the amazing selection of Great Pooch Images then check it out here:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2010/02/your-dog-photos-group-2/
:-)
BB

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

You had me with the photo; the words were icing on the cake. What a moving story!

Pony Girl said...

Love that photo, it's really spectacular, BB! :) I can tell he was a really special dog, I can feel it in your words.
Danes are pretty special, I've known a few and they are a great breed.

Anonymous said...

This is probably one of the best pictures of a child and dog I have ever seen. Truly Beautiful!! The look on Dash's face and the proud look of Coz...protecting what's his. Just Beautiful.

Gina