I have a confession to make today. I am a shocker - I have a real problem actually.
Do you have ANY idea how many photos I take? Literally hundreds a month. I try to slow down, but it's my crack. My poison. And I figure it ain't hurting no-one with my addictive pastime, except for my hard drive (and my grammar apparently!).
.
And when readers and friends say: 'How on earth do you think of your next blog post?'
My response is usually: 'Are you kidding? If I was laid up for the next six months, I have enough blog fodder saved there for daily contributions to the chaos of www!'

My problem is not WHAT to write and blog about, it's finding the time to do it. Sure I can take the photos and have a rough idea what I am going to write with them, but generally I can't sit down and focus on it until late at night - after when all my loved ones are fed, bathed and tucked into bed. It explains why so many typos make it to the 'publish' button.
.
And when readers and friends say: 'How on earth do you think of your next blog post?'
My response is usually: 'Are you kidding? If I was laid up for the next six months, I have enough blog fodder saved there for daily contributions to the chaos of www!'

My problem is not WHAT to write and blog about, it's finding the time to do it. Sure I can take the photos and have a rough idea what I am going to write with them, but generally I can't sit down and focus on it until late at night - after when all my loved ones are fed, bathed and tucked into bed. It explains why so many typos make it to the 'publish' button.
(That's my excuse and I am sticking with it!)

For instance, I have a small mountain of photos from after Christmas - when the rain started falling (finally) and softening the views from our windows (and the faces of our workforce). I am finding an excuse to post some of them now - as it's been raining again this week (three and a half inches of gorgeous precipitation into our rain gauge) and as I am reintroducing Weather Watch Wednesday. (Yes, I know it's not Wednesday, this is a PREVIEW. Stay with me!).
.
Here are some shots of the kids from a month ago - exploring a gully running with water. There had been a heavy downpour with that same amount (as we had this week) falling in a couple of hours. It's amazing how differently the country 'lets go' of the water with the different rates of rainfall. This week, the water simply soaked into the ground. No run-off.

No ready-made waterfall-filled playground for Dash and Violet...

It was incredible how quickly the Nintendos and Wii games were forgotten as they frolicked in the stream. Exactly as I did when I was a youngster growing up here... before either of these devices had been dreamed of.
.
We had also checked out the river bed during the last lot of rain...
Here Dash demonstrates his 'Jesus Walk' .
It only lasted 1/100 of a second, but the moment is officially filed in our Historical Events!
.
Mr Incredible also checked out how far the water levels were rising in the river bed. Did you know that rivers keep running BELOW a sandy river bed like this? Even if you cannot see it from above, dig a little and you can generally find sand-filtered water...

The river was running about two feet below the natural level of the sand.
.
Mr Incredible also checked out how far the water levels were rising in the river bed. Did you know that rivers keep running BELOW a sandy river bed like this? Even if you cannot see it from above, dig a little and you can generally find sand-filtered water...

The river was running about two feet below the natural level of the sand.
In the old days, cattlemen would use hollowed out tree trunks to bury into the sand, digging out the sand inside the circle of timber, and viola: a trough of clean water for animals to quench their thirst. I actually have a couple of these old sand troughs as 'pots' in my garden.
Hey - there is something I haven't photographed lately...
Oh wait... hang on... lookee here:
In the archives baby.
See that timber thing in the background of this lily photo taken at this time.
One of the unposted thousands...
*Sigh*
.
So Weather Watch next Wednesay, okay?
Would love you to catch me up on the last month of Mother Nature's efforts in your neck of the woods, in the comments section below?
And while you are there... what's your poison?
Something you KNOW an addiction you KNOW you should cut down on, but just can't?
Make me feel better please!



14 comments:
Yeah. I'm addicted to blogs, yours included. I need to cut back. I can't. I'm addicted. I just can't quit you.
Oh, yeah...your kids have the very best grins! They also grin with their whole face, just like their dad.
I'm with Debby. Your blog is a joy to read and your photos are just super cool. I'm so glad you take time out to share. Kids and water and flowers and horses and cows and woodland botany are my favorite. So are a lot of other things you post. Thanks. As for Idaho weather---snow. Again.
Maine weather - gorgeous! Blue skies, 30 F during the day 10 F night time temps.
Addictioins: Our farm....truly. All my animals and my family. I absolutely hate it when I have to travel off the farm. I am so content and happy here.
I'm guilty of the blog addiction as well. Yours is tops. I know everyone is busy and appreciate the effort to share their lives with the rest of us. It's great :)
I've got a feeling I'm soon to have the same addiction as you (or a worse version of the one I currently have - I took 200 photos of the king tide last weekend).
I have a Big Birthday coming up next month and hubby has been looking for a digital SLR for me. He's been scouring ebay for weeks and has just hopped off the computer with a huge smile on his face :)
I'm also addicted to stitching and reading.
Weatehr here in Brissy - stinking, steamy hot. Weather at our farm - stinking steamy hot ... and wet :)
I used to be addicted to blogging, but I've put a hard curtail on that not allowing myself to add new blogs to my following list. It's a technique my Significant Other's sister uses with their kids: They are allowed to get new toys, but every time they get a new one, they have to donate an old one to charity.
Every time I want to follow a new blog, I have to remove one I'm not reading so often from my list.
Now I'm addicted to…cooking. I've purchased three cookbooks in the last month, and I'm constantly pouring over their pages, bookmarking ones I want to cook in the future, I've got our suppers planned for the next month!
It doesn't help that I've started featuring the particularly good recipes on my blog either!
My poison — photography also. And blogging takes up hours of my time, reading AND writing. Yours is one of my favorites, your photos are wonderful and I love the voice with which you write. Again today we are having a very rare (for So. California) rainstorm. Of course we decided to remodel this winter and it always is the winter (last one 12 years ago) in which we have an El Nino. My husband, every time we take a walk and I take 200 pictures, exclaims, "thank God they invented digital cameras". Remember the days of paying for film to be developed? Here is a link to my rain post. http://lorimcktia.blogspot.com/2010/01/it-never-rains-in-southern-california.html Blessings!
The weather here in East Texas is not so nice right now but it could be worse! I loved seeing the pics of your two kids playing in the water...my brother and I did the same thing when we were young. We lived on a farm and the creek overflowed when we had a good heavy rain. We had such fun.
I love where you live so I really enjoy your stories and photos...keep them coming!
If I took photos as gorgeous as yours I can assure you that would be my addiction! Instead, I join many others in being addicted to your blog.
My latest addiction, which I'm trying to wean off of, is the Food Network. It's dangerous to my waistline!
My name is Theresa, and I am addicted to blogs :-) So please donot cut back on your addiction because my withdrawl could get ugly. I sincerely enjoy your pictures and stories.
Signed
Theresa in ALberta
Oh you guys!! I truly wasn't FISHING when I posted this one... you are all so sweet. Thankyou. Not giving up on blogging anytime soon - that's up there right behind photography as a major addiction.
:-)
BB
Much as the previous posts said, I am addicted to blogs, as well. In an effort to cut back on the amount of time I have spent on the computer (seriously, I will spend a whole day on the computer reading what is going on in other people's lives, that my husband has to practically peel me away from my computer), I have filled the void with supernatural romance novels! Now, my hubby has to peel me away from whatever I am reading at the time. Ack! I just can't win!
Absolutely love the photos!
Had heard about the river below the sandy river bottom but good as a reminder ;)
I don't think photography is an addiction, isn't it more involuntary, like breathing? My heart beats, I take pictures. Documentation of ones life is very important. Lucky for you it's beautiful out. Instead I find myself in Iowa's Ridiculous White Everlasting Tundra. Thank you for your blog.
Post a Comment