Pages

16 February 2010

Messin' with a billabong

Now if you are an Aussie, you may have anticipated a photo of an ice-block here.
Or at least a clothing company.
But no.
I am talking about one of just two photos I snapped on my recent drive up the paddock of a small waterhole beside the road. I had hoped to get many more images here in slightly later afternoon light... but, well... if you read that post, will already know what happened there.
(A lot of dismissal went on, that's what!)
.
But here is what I am up to with the 'messin'. I'm using some tools in Photoshop on the sweet little pic below...
My white-balanced version pretty much straight out of the camera:
mycountry_0188 e
(Don't you love that sky?).

Using Pioneer Woman's Lovely and Ethereal action:
mycountry_0188 l&e

Using the basic PS7 Sepia action:
mycountry_0188 sepia e

Using Rosalind Harrison's B&W Sepia action
mycountry_0188 vintage e
And finally, using my own combination Photoshop tools,
Hue & Saturation plus some PaintDaubs and some darkening around the border.
mycountry_0188 hue&paint
A couple of questions
(and this is not for photo nerds only, I want all opinions):
Which one works best, do you think?
And what is your colloquial name for a small body of water like this?

24 comments:

Maya said...

I love the feeling of the PS 7 Sepia action. If I were back in my homeland of New Mexico I would call that a lake! Here Down Under looks like a waterhole.

Anonymous said...

Whitw-balanced works for me :)
... and we have a series of 7 billabongs at the family farm which have always been known as "The Seven Seas". ....they named every part of the place something interesting - it used to confuse me to hear my husband say something like "I checked the mob in Fairy Dell and let the Heiffers into Old Ben Bolt and rode home via the Seven Seas" ;)

Jenni said...

I think I like the sepia and your combo version best. They're both wonderfully moody. I'd try changing your version a bit, but I'm not quite sure how. Maybe it is that I'd like the sky a tad bluer? There is just something I can't quite pinpoint, but it is close to perfect just as is. All the versions are beautiful.

Around here we have areas where the water ponds up in fields. They're often too shallow to be real ponds and a little deep and wide to be puddles. Scientists and wildlife and parks people call them playa lakes (say it like ply-uh), and they provide important habitat for wildlife. I don't really know what they're called colloquially. Some hold water most of the time. I posted a photo of one of these near my home last week. It sits on the other side of the river in a low spot in a field (planted with sunflowers in the pic) with a row of trees on one side. The river floods this entire field at times and resupplies this little spot, but this one area stays wet unless we have a long dry spell. It is the best place for spotting great blue herons and egrets.

LeeNJ said...

White-balanced SOOC.
Pond. Boring, I know!

Anonymous said...

I like the white-balanced image the most. I would call that body of water a pond.

Woman in a Window said...

Rosalind's. Wow. That one is very appealing to me. Is that action available online?
xo
erin

A Novel Woman said...

I like Rosalind's because it lifts it from simply nice to ethereal and poetic.

And we call that a pond.

Carla said...

I like the last picture best. Bright, crisp colors and lines.
In our part of Texas, we'd call that body of water a stock pond. Meaning, of course, that the livestock would drink from it.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

I love the last two photos. Next to last speaks "drama" and the last one is simply beautiful.

Vicki said...

I'm loving the second one the most... very crisp colours. In Canada... we call that a pond!

Patty said...

I like your SOOC shot, truthfully; it's just darned good on its own. PW's action just blurs it up a bit and the sepia? boring to me. I'm not a fan of bevels on edges in any case, and the added texture drags down a beautifully clear, bright shot. A beautiful sky, a clear pond, and green grass don't really need to look "moody" in my opinion, but that's only my opinion. Sometimes, you just don't need to mess with a good thing, hey? And that billabong? Here in northern Alberta, Canada, we would call it a slough (prounounced "slew"), it's a perfect moose environment, and good for breeding mosquitoes..cheers! Patty

Unknown said...

The Rosalind one grabs me most. It has the most depth to it to me. The whole B&W sepia things is great.

we call it a pond or watering hole...but billabong is more fun!!

Kelly said...

I like the first shot... straight out of the camera.

DaddyNoBucks said...

To me it's a small pond and I like your version best

duchess_declutter said...

I really love the first one - au naturale.
I'm thinking too that it would be called - a string of billabongs. That just came to mind, not sure where I've heard that before.

Unknown said...

I love the last two versions, just gorgeous! But it is a great shot SOOC too, just lovely. You live in such an amazing and beautiful part of the world.

And round here it's a pond or hole.

Reddirt Woman said...

Yep, in Oklahoma it's a pond or a watering hole.

I like your white balanced myself although the Rosalind action gives the shot of the '30's and 40's prints that you saw in everyone's living room... back in the day, but the crispness of your white balanced is my favorite.

Debby said...

Rosalind's B and W sepia thingy.

Here in Pennsylvania, we call this a pond.

Hippomanic Jen said...

I like the last one - crisp and clear. As a kid I would have called it a 'hole' lot of fun.

Isn't a billabong technically where the river leaves a small body of water after flooding. I've always needed more trees in my imagination. But this is a very pretty waterhole.

dykewife said...

i like them all.

i'd call it a pond, sometimes a slough (pronounced sloo) if it's not fed by any kind of stream and is just run off collection.

Lydia said...

I like your combo best.

We would call that a pond, if it were a little shallower, it would be a slough (sp?) (pronounced slew).

L

BB said...

First, I LOVE the word slough (slew) - to me that's a WHOLE HEAP of something (a slew of cards arrived for her birthday)... isn't language an AMAZING thing?

Votes for billabong* images:
1. 7
2. 1
3. 1 1/2
4. 5
5. 5 1/2

How interesting was that? SOOC (well, almost) was the winner by a short neck from my combo of stuff, with Rosalinds fabulous action in at third.

Those interested can find her actions here: http://rosalindharrison.deviantart.com/
(there is link also from Kate's place at Chronicles of a Country Girl, to CoffeeShop Fee PS/PSE Actions which is how I first chanced upon it).

* I realise this is not a 'proper' billabong. But I love the word and it seems to just fit this photo somehow.
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

Where's the jolly swagman? Definitely what comes to mind when you say billabong - but my teenage daughter? The brand of course. Unfortunately!

My late vote is for SOOC, and I don't mind the last one. I agree with whoever said why mess with a good thing?!!

Pony Girl said...

Just beautiful! I love the last photo, BB. And we would call that a "pond." If it was a little bigger, it might get by as a "small lake." :)