~.~
See that bubbling, brown, swirling-ness to the left?
Can you hear the roar of water as it charges downstream?
(Oh... clearly not - this is a sound free blog, isn't it?)

That'd be the river coming down, folks!
In all it's brown, filthy, frothy glory...
See that fence disappearing into the water?
Compare to this shot taken just after our New Year rain...
Mr Incredible would have been pretty much underwater had he tried this today!
Here is a wider perspective...
And a much better vantage point!!
It's quite an impressive run, really. The best for a very very long time. Perhaps enough to lift our big dam (about 20km downstream from this bridge) from 2% to 3% of capacity. Who knows? More outrageous things have happened...
Here is an angle from the bank - you can see there is still a very long way to go before this bridge goes under... in fact, it NEVER has. But you can see how high (decades ago) the water once sat, almost at the top of those huge cylindrical pylons. I remember actually water-skiing under this and almost being able to touch the giant timber beams of the bridge itself.
~.~
Add up those 20km of riverway and the gap of about 18 feet from bridge to water here...

You can see we aren't even close to old records yet!
Meanwhile, up on the bridge proper...
Our intrepid flood inspectors are setting out...
And a mother tries to distract herself from the awful drop to the water below with some sweet reflections... desperately ignore her offsprings' tendancies to hurl sticks into the upstream side of the bridge, then belt back across to watch the hapless twigs float down the muddy torrents.
How many children do I have again? Mr Incredible is explaining away his enthusiasm for this behaviour as helping our kids learn about currents and forces and water and eddies. All of a sudden, the man is a homeschooling fanatic?

Of course, each neighbour has to carry out their own personal inspection of any local flooding. We ended up with three vehicles parked at the end of the bridge comparing river stories. Hey, it doesn't rain here that much! We savour where we can...
~.~
Of course not EVERYONE was thrilled with the influx of water into our river system.
This little guy was taking refuge on a rock below the bridge...
At least he was...
til the Granite Glen homeschooling posse arrived for class!




21 comments:
Wow! Congratulations on your rain! (She says as she sits looking out the window and bemoaning the cold, wet mess she must soon go out in.) Gorgeous pics, as always.
BB, It is so interesting to see how life is all the way across the world! So enjoy your pics!
Yall's ducks have longer legs than the ones I'm familiar with here in the southern USA!
I'm new to your blog. Since Jenni congratulated you on the rain, I assume yall have been in a drought?A couple of years ago we had a terrible drought; then the rains came, then the snows came. So thankfully we're out of it now.
Nonnie
Yeeeee-yowza. Quite a difference from the pictures that I'm used to seeing from your station. I guess that dust storms are a thing of the past for the time being, anyway.
Oh, and the throwing sticks into the water? It's universal. A. A. Milne describes it in Winnie the Pooh. It's called Pooh Sticks, and my children never missed an opportunity to play it.
Yeah rain! It's beautiful in all it's muddy glory. And the greens are so vibrant! And your ducks are really pretty, very different than the ones out here in the west USA. And i still throw sticks in rivers...it's hard to quit :-)
The WV is Joyas. I think it fits well with the happy kiddos in the rain!
These picture are really stunning, BB, and capture the nature of your life there so well. I love the one of the flood inspectors on the bridge, and their reflection in the water!!
It was strange to see the trees poking up in the middle of that "creek"! I'm sure all that rain will help everything grow and become more green?
We're supposed to get rain over here today and through the weekend too. I have a love — hate relationship with it at this point due to our renovation efforts at the cottage. Everything is finally in place bar the rain. Love your pics; especially that beautiful lizard (that is a lizard isn't it)?
Good Weekend Wishes.
Blessings,
Tia
Fab rain!
And the stick throwing is scientific, of course *wink wink* lol
Wow - very impressive soaking you had there BB.
Love the ducks :-)
I'm a Nth Qld boy myself and I miss rain like that - I can remember playing in one of the local dams with my mates where we would spend hours riding our pushbikes up home-made dirt ramps at the side of the dam, launching ourselves into the water - then of course we'd have to swim to the bottom to retrieve said bikes...
I know what a blessing water from heaven is for farmers and ranchers. Glad your place is finally getting a piece of the pie. Hope you get enough to fill the reservoir but not so much that you have to build and ark. :)
What an interesting photo story. I found my self reading every word.
Hope you don't have the kind of mud that is almost impossible to wash off the boots etc.
quack quack! WOW, you folks are getting quite a bit of rain eh? are there any "crocs" in that river?
signed
Theresa in Alberta
Wow - it sure beats dust storms, right? BTW - what kind of ducks are those? They're really pretty and exotic looking.
Nancy in Iowa (no rain - just snow flurries today!)
I am just drinking in all these photos ;)
So. I am pretty much naive to all things Australian (unless you count Crocodile Dundee and Keith Urban), so what is that little lizard dude? And you used to water ski in that river? What about crocodiles?
Don't laugh at me! Like I said... Naive.
Can I pleeeeeeeeeaaaaasssseee come see you?
I thought the ducks looked very long-legged as well! Now you have to identify them for us! (Goes to show how much regional variations there can be in species.)
That would be some sort of water dragon wouldn't it? Eastern Water Dragon I think.
Loved your photos as always. Love that reflection one. Trying to imagine you water skiing under that bridge with the water height you talked about. (Trying to imagine that as a normal-ish water height!)
Wow! That's a lot of water!
As a duck hunter I'm curious, too, as to what kind those are. They don't look like anything we have around here.
Great shot of the lizard!!!
And Debby's right.... Pooh Sticks. (I'm smiling)
Okay - I have been attempting to research the ducks - to me they look like Spotted Whistling Ducks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Whistling-Duck). Tracey (TraceElements) thinks the necks are too long. Are there any Aussie bird watchers out there?
The lizard is indeed an eastern bearded dragon (quite populous around here!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_Dragon_in_captivity
There have never been sightings of crocs in our river - they would be expected MUCH further north than here (Cairns up). And its not a silly question at all!
And yes, an enormous disparity between THIS season and the kind that sends us dust storms. (For those who are wondering what we are on about: http://bushbabe.blogspot.com/2009/10/deadlines-and-bovine-bonuses.html
Have a great weekend y'all!
:-)
BB
Post a Comment