My son is such a little man. He is growing up so darned fast it makes my head spin. Wasn't it yesterday that I nervously watched him off on his first muster when he couldn't keep up with the mob? And the day before that when he was promoted from Rob Roy the Great (Shetland) to Lovely Lacey? And the day before that, I watched him FINALLY take his first steps sometime after his first birthday (and his early hurdles)?
.
And now? Now he is a little man who rides a ripstick with the best of them, who eats like a HORSE (despite never appearing to put on any weight) and wears the title of musterer extraordinaire with beaming pride.
.
And now? Now he is a little man who rides a ripstick with the best of them, who eats like a HORSE (despite never appearing to put on any weight) and wears the title of musterer extraordinaire with beaming pride.
.
I remember when I first started mustering on my own - I also remember the first day my Dad (Pagi) proudly told Mum I was 'as good as a man'. I very nearly busted. (I was about 11 years old and it was long before I had heard of women's lib - to this day I totally understand that he meant that my gender was not an issue while I was on a horse: I was as good as a man. And regardless of political correctness, his compliments just don't come any better than that.)
.
I think of this as I watch my smiling, skinny seven-year-old son who now easily hoists himself onto that old chestnut mare and boots her into action.
Of course he sometimes completely forgets to arrange the reins/steering gear before he climbs aboard. Luckily Dad is around to sort out this minor dilemma for him. (Note how patiently Lacey is waiting - I think she may actually be catching a nap. She's old. She's allowed.)
Undeterred by his initial steering issues, Dash contemplates tactics as he prepares to move the cows and calves from the yards.
And into action...
(if anyone can see a human bottom in this photo, could they please point it out for me? I swear this kid inhales calories like there is no tomorrow, but where they go, no-one knows!)
He walks Lacey forward, sitting up straight as a rod, moving those cows and calves through the dust and back towards their home paddocks... I suspect there could have been some whistling going on at this point...

"Walk up girls!"

"Walk up girls!"
(I am never sure if the cows mind being called 'girls' - I am here to tell you, some of them are not exactly spring chickens, so I fancy they are quite flattered.)
And now is when Dash really gets active.
And Lacey wonders what the heck she has done to deserve a kid with ants in his pants.
Then darting back across the mob to keep those slower cows moving, moving, moooo-ving.
And again... and again.
Either this kid is hyperactive, or, as Mr Incredible says with pride:
"He's just tidying them up - like a good dog."
.
Compliments around here - you've really just got to know how to take them!





19 comments:
You must be so proud of your young man. He sure looks efficient and effective.
Sure did enjoy these photos. Such the little man!!
So, how long do cows live on average?
Oh, I am SO jeleous of Dash's metabolism :-( If I so much as LOOK at a calorie, I gain 10 pounds.
Dash is becoming quite a good hand for Mr I these days.
signed
Theresa in ALberta
They grow up fast and before you know it, whoosh they're gone. So glad you're savoring every moment, taking lots of photos.
Wow, look at him go! So confident. He looks like an old pro. Great series of photos, BB!
Love the new header design, awesome! Makes me wish for summer! ;)
Wow! the lighting on that lush grass. And the shadows through the trees. How that young man's white hat makes him the centerpiece of every photo. Your blog is eye candy and Dash is the cherry on top.
Hey, I'm sincere here, just got a little carried away with my own prose. :P
Your blog is looking fantastic. You have such a charming (Austrailian) way with word too. I love your posts! Your little man is such the good rider; the pics are beautiful. When my son was that age everybody commented on how scrawny he was to the point I felt the need to defend myself. "I swear, I am feeding him. He eats like a horse!" Now he is a strapping, tall, guy who is so strong that when I push him, (just for fun) it feels like I am pushing a tree trunk. Amazing how they grow into their bodies. All that good food and fresh air pays off in the end.
What can I say? Just a great post with lots of wonderful pics.
Gorgeous photos! Dash looks so small on the horse, you must be so proud of him :)
Gorgeous pics, gorgeous story :)
'You have to know how to take a compliment.' Yeah. For years, when Tim was asked how we met, he'd describe it, and how our gaze met, and he thought (with a sigh), 'Now there's a woman who knows how to work.' Stuff like that? Just makes my heart pitter-pat.
LOL
Love the photos, Dash looks right at home in that saddle ;)
OT - on another blog I used to write for (before someone deleted it) I had a big write up about Edna Zigenbine Jessop.
I'm sure you've heard of her but I'll throw the link in HERE.
You just gave me a thought.
My gelding Oliver, who I've had since he was two, (he's now 9), will be the perfect age to start my kids riding (my as-yet non-existent kids) … that's a scary thought!
How time flies.
You know my trainer always said, "Be sure you RIDE that horse on trails. Don't get lazy and just go for a ride. They'll catch you off guard every time if you don't." That's what Dash is doing. He wouldn't want Lacey to jump out from under him. :)
I like his daddy's idea better though.
Wow, Dash is amazing! What a confident little man. As for his butt, I think my upper arms are bigger!
Sigh.
Nancy
My "baby" girl is 26. I miss those days! And she misses the time when she could eat anything she wanted to and not gain weight.
Lovely shots again BB. How green everything looks too - you all must be thrilled to have had some rain at last!
Dash may not have much of a bottom (lucky thing!) but he certainly has a lovely seat on a horse - and such a straight back - he's obviously a natural or maybe just a chip off the block!
i just love your photos- and your little man :)
He is officially crazy adorable...but don't tell him that. Tell him he's very mature and manly looking ;-)
I have commented in so long and i miss it! I've moved and had limited computer access and i'm loving catching up on life in the Bush.
Dash is a horseman! He looks so confident and happy in the saddle. Go Dash Go!!
Post a Comment