Pages

13 March 2010

Wallowing...

You may - or may not - have heard about the rain in these parts?
I realise some of those around the ridges (further south) may be a little sick of it, but me? No way, Jose. I have been ready for a flood from the first drops. Ready, willing and pantry stocked to the max. And Nikon primed and stuttering at every vivid green-and-grey view like a raging machine gun. Bear with me while I wallow a little longer in the lushness we find ourselves surrounded by. I know for sure it will not last. And these rainy day pages will undoubtedly be among the most-visited by moi when dry weather again takes a stranglehold on our part of the world... Wallow with me?
~.~
This series is from the Bunyip Hole.
raibn_0028
Invaded not only by streaming water...
rain_0033
but by birdlife who look for all the world as if they never left...
rain_0098
Seriously? Swans in a paddock where a few weeks ago dust was blowing...
rain_0032
My favourite of all native trees, groves of gorgeous blue gum trees...
rain_0042
The rushing sound of the floodwaters is as insistently cleansing to my senses as the rains that gave them life...
rain_0071
And the stream tumbles and roars around newly-created islands...
rain_0072
Singing it's anthem of new life around tree trunks and giant knotting roots...
rain_0077

Before racing headlong to fill creeks and tributaries and dams and rivers...
perhaps in the days, weeks, months ahead to wriggle through to the ocean.
Leaving behind calm, content waterholes.
Happy to lie in wait for blue skies and hot suns.
Reflecting the stillness of draping trees, polished grey branches and the ancient myths of bluegums and bunyips.

rain_0092
Just like me.

18 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Your pictures and writing are so touching. I love it when you have humorous posts, and I love your poetic ones. If I ever get up — down-over — to Oz, I'm gonna have to look you up. I have several friends over there and have been hoping to visit your country for a long time. My Australian friends are my most fun friends to be around. Love the 3 hour dinners. Never laugh so hard as when I'm with them. Must be something in the water!

Kelly said...

Wonderful photos! I especially like the swans!!

Deb said...

Thank you so much for the visual tour of your beautiful home. I love looking at your photographs, staring at them again and again so I don't miss anything :) The swans truly are beautiful.
So glad you are getting much needed rains - storing up is a great feeling.
We are in a spring pattern already.
Much too soon for us and not nearly enough snow this winter. I'm praying our spring rains will be heavy and fill the rivers and streams before our hot summer weather arrives.
Be careful with all the water around. I can't but think there are hidden things swimming in your bunyip hole :)

Debby said...

Wow. Things have certainly changed from last summer, hey?

Hilary said...

Beautiful pictures. Just beautiful.

nightsmusic said...

Hard to believe things can go from such vivid, jewel toned hues to drab brown almost overnight.

Your pictures are beautiful!

We've had a lot of rain too and I'd show you a picture, but all I ever end up with is a dirt road that looks like chocolate pudding.

ugh

Unknown said...

glad you are still loving the rain. i just can't!! we are SOOOOOOOOOOOO saturated here! Have had rain steady and a lot of it for the past 9 months! we really need a break from it!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous pics. I love the one of the swans - I always thought black swans were a WA thing, but there you go!

Pony Girl said...

You must have been doing the rain dance! :) Glad you are getting some rain!

Julie in Oz said...

Your photos BB...are as usual extremely inspirational and just plain goose-bumpily. Thanks...for the Wow factor!!! I come here looking for it...and always find it!

Mom L said...

Fantastic photos - as always! Here in SW Iowa our sunshine has gone away for a while and we've had a week of dreary days with light rain. It has melted most of the heavy snow blanket, leaving just patches and some high piles where snow was pushed off the road...

You have wonderful wildlife!

Nancy

Jayne said...

Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em !
Can never have too many photos of rain, water, filled creeks or rivers OR too much of the cloud juice itself ;)

myletterstoemily said...

we have a tradition of checking all
the flooded creeks and rivers in our
rainy season.

there is such a rush watching a
torrent of water woosh by.

enjoy!

Dar said...

The lushness you have captured through your lens is amazing. I await our turn. I will pray your green and waterfowl can all stay. The black swans are lovely. I do not ever recall seeing any.
Thanks for the walk down your path.
BlessYa

Country Girl said...

Wow is all I can say. Wow! Swans swimming in a former dust-blown field? And those bluegums . . . I've never seen this kind of tree.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me whilst I wallow with ya, k? The different shades of green just make me feel so peaceful......Those swans and ducks must be excellant to have as neighbours.
signed
Theresa in ALberta

Anonymous said...

Oh BB, just beautiful photos, as always. I think I want to go to that Bunyip Hole of yours. (I hope you've earmarked one of those, in landscape mode, for your next calendar. Or even a poster. And of course you make me feel guilty that I am complaining about having had too much rain here.