Something pretty amazing happened today.
We have been having a massive campdrafting weekend,
with Cyclone Ului being polite and staying at bay (although the skies are quite grey).
There has been some AMAZING action which I will share when I get a spare hour or so to sift through the memory cards chock full of images.
But I had to dig out a couple of shots tonight to share.
Cause something pretty darned amazing took place at the local showgrounds.
~
It happened between two expressions.
The first one looked like this:
And then this happened.
Then this...
Then this...
And then he was OUT in the arena...
(Holy Heck, hang on boy!)
And presenting...
Expression Number Two.
~
To explain more fully...
Dash went in his very first campdraft today!
At the ripe old age of seven (nearly eight) he plucked up the courage (with the help of some cousins) to enter in the 'Junior' draft. Kids under the age of 13 get just one beast (cow) in the yard (as opposed to a small mob for all other drafts) and take it out of the yard and around the course as best they can. They pretty much cannot get 'cracked off' (dismissed by the judge) and just do they best they can in 40 seconds.
It's a riot.
Seriously, more spectators stop and watch this draft
and cheer with more gusto than any other division!
Dash vaccillated between wanting to have a go, and being too nervous and unsure of what he was supposed to do. Before entering the 'camp' he confessed to feeling 'a bit sick'.
There should be more photos of Dash outside in the big arena
but I confess I was yelling and carrying on too much to really focus. Or click.
~
More pics of cuteness to come,
but I am so bustin' out with pride at my
sometimes-nervy little man having a red hot go,
that I just had to share....






24 comments:
Oh BB - I'm proud FOR you
What a brave little man you have
Can't wait to see the rest of you pics
*HURRY*
JT
x
Big congrats to young Dash being able to overcome his nervousness and participate! That's so hard at his age.....he looks so natural on a horse. I remember those feelings in my gut at his age when we used to show. SCARY :)'
I think it's wonderful that you all participate as a family - good for you!! Best of luck ~
High fives to Dash! Double high fives. (And proud mum!)
Oh no - I definitely know I am channelling old relatives from the other side (because the word verification is "cardie"...) but there is a great deal of love and oozing from the corporeal (and other) Jeanie.
Well done!!
And as the one and only time Auntie Jeanie ever did the campdrafting deed she got cracked off in the camp for turning tail, Dash is already one up.
GO GETTEM Dash man!!!
Please donot dawdle with the photo's BB, this is exciting stuff!
Cheering clapping from Canada
Theresa in Alberta
Way to go, big guy!!! That was quite impressive.
Those are great photos and they sure do tell the story. The little grin is priceless, and that's a pretty nice horse he's riding too.
Congratulations Dash!!
I love the last picture. Mr. Incredible has obviously said something wonderful.
Way to go, Dash, on your accomplishment!!
I just love your beautiful photo stories! Way to go, Dash!!!
Nancy (old lady who never did that!) in Iowa
I can just imagine you bursting with pride and happiness, BB. Congrats, Dash!
I love the two expressions on Dash's face that you so aptly captured. Congratulations to Dash, and kudos to you for raising such a brave young boy!
Oh, he is too cute. Sorry, I mean handsome, and capable.
High fives to you, Dash!
Oh, my gosh, that picture number one made me laugh out loud. Cute, cute, caaaaa-yuuuute!
Way to go, Dash. He's a real cowboy
Oh I bet you guys are so proud of him! And I bet he feels so great inside, having the courage and doing this! I bet he wants to do it again a.s.a.p?! :)
Great pictures as always, can't wait to see the rest and so glad the hurricane has stayed away!!
Yay for cyclones that stay away so stuff like this can happen! Well done to Dash - how brave is he??? Gorgeous photos of a gorgeous wee man.
Wooohooo, well done Dash!
That rising trot is down pat, too, I see :)
Go Dash!!! That is so cool! He looks awesome out there, a real pro. Congrats little man. And congrats proud mama!
Cyclone has brought us rain :)
We will be in the Junior this year after many years of competing in the Mini !! It's nerve wracking watching them isn't it !!
Dash's expressions are cute, but I couldn't help but look at his lovely GG. She knew EXACTLY what to do (you can tell by the look on HER face), but made certain she was looking after him. I love horses that look after their young riders!
Deja vu - takes me back to when I was 13 and I lived on a station for 3 months...
Just arrived home from final day of three days of drafting... couple of quick comments in response to some things raised above:
Lacey is around 32 years of age (ie ancient) and just amazing. She does indeed look after her young steed. More info on her here for those interested:
http://bushbabe.blogspot.com/2009/08/lovely-lacey.html
I'm afraid the final riding photo is not so much a trot as a canter - the sitting canter is something we are still aiming for!! That said, his rising trot is fabulous!
I wish we had a mini draft - there were all levels of skill in this draft but it was enormous fun anyway!
And yes, Grandma J would be very proud Jeanie.
Cyclone can come on down now, anytime it wants!!
♥
BB
How utterly adorable these photos are... and kudos to Dash for overcoming his nervousness and just doing it! YAY!! :)
Oh, how exciting for you. Especially so for Dash! This is one category that I'd be cheering for as well, if I were a spectator.
Post a Comment