Pages

17 January 2010

Wincy...

There are just over 24 hours left in my little contest/giveaway/harvesting of humour... and I thought I might entertain you as you dig deep into your psyche for a punchline in yesterday's photo blog post...

This series of photos was taken at about 10pm, after Mr Incredible had let his horse Trooper out of the yard he gets fed in (he doesn't like to share, our Trooper-Looper). He called me out into the backyard to show me something. "Bring the camera!" he called out. So I did.

My apologies for the photo quality. These were taken without a tripod and with only a torch to light the subject, which had set up house right across our walkway sometime in the previous 3 hours.


He was a little bigger than the size of the palm of a man's hand.

Moral of the story:

Keep your torch handy and eyes peeled while night-wandering in my neck of the woods!

Have I scared you back to the previous post yet?

19 comments:

Tamsyn said...

What kind of creepy spider is that!!??! There is no way I won't be having nightmares tonight.

Pony Girl said...

I can not watch this before I go to bed, I will have nightmares! :) I will have to come back tomorrow.
I have arachnophobia!!

Jenni said...

Cool spider! What type is it? Is it venomous?

Anonymous said...

ack!!!!! you need a flyswater the size of tennis racket for that!! my apologeeze to the spider fans out there.
signed
Theresa in Alberta where the spiders are a lot smaller.

Jayke said...

Oh my gosh. That is disgusting.

That's one of the great things about living in the great frozen north. Anything smaller than a bunny that doesn't migrate, doesn't survive! We've got no large bugs, spiders, or snakes thank goodness!

PS - my verification word is pooka. teehee.

Debby said...

Bigger than a man's palm?!!! Dear heavens. I'm not afraid of spiders. At least I didn't think that I was. From Debby who is from the same hemisphere as Theresa, where spiders know what size to grow.

Anonymous said...

Are those things any good fried? - Bill

Country Girl said...

I would've squashed that with a very big boot. After I'd taken photos, of course!

Mom L said...

So, tell us, HOW did you know it was larger than a man's palm? You didn't make Mr. I pick it up, did you? :)

Nancy in Iowa

A Novel Woman said...

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

It's one of my true phobias (besides driving over large bridges) and this gives me the willies. God, I'm sitting here literally shuddering.

The only time I blogged about spiders was way back on November 8, 2007 and that one had nothing on yours. Ugh-itie ugh ugh....you win, you win, you WIN!

http://anovelwoman.blogspot.com/2007/11/im-out-of-chocolate.html

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Never walking in the dark at your place.

NikonSniper said...

Hey BushBabe,
I just thought I would let you know that you were "tagged" in my blog this morning. Drop by to see the questions to answer in your blog. Sorry!
NikonSniper Steve

duchess_declutter said...

Just one thing to say ............. C R I K E Y!!

Kelly said...

Wow!! That's one big spider!!!

Jayne said...

LOL
My geek kid thinks it's an Orb Weaver Spider and, if so, they're harmless and make magnificent webs.
I ought to know I walk into the damn things often enough LOL.

Amanda said...

It could be a golden orb weaving spider but its hairier than the ones we get. I think the hairy ones are called *garden* orb weavers, but that's stretching my mind waaaay back to entomology at uni.
They do get really big though don't they??

We used to get big golden orbs (like the size of the one in the link about the bird-eating spider) around the house when I lived in FNQ. Those are REALLY big:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=651337

Anonymous said...

I
Do
Not
Like
Spiders.

Carla said...

I'm one of those weird people that is fascinated by spiders. Cool shots!
Did you get any pics of it in the daylight the next day?

Unknown said...

OMH!!! Holy crap i would've had a heart attack if I saw that thing. I love snakes but spider just do me in. What if you had walked into it without seeing it! It would be ON YOUR FACE! Is it aggressive?