Pages

27 January 2010

Blue skies (smiling at me)

(A quick post today as I make the most of my weirdly quiet house, now that BOTH my darling offspring are officially at school. Excuse me if I write this with a slightly distacted air...)

We finally took back the last of the stud cattle to their paddocks on Saturday, after a long week of branding. It was a more relaxed day than normal (we had gone over schedule by half a day) and I had the luxury of actually thinking about taking some fun photos.
yards_0332 e
This little series were shot as I followed Dash and his cousin S in the Prado - they were tailing the mob north from the yards. Mr Incredible helped for a little way. (Lacey, Dash's wonderful old mare who is 30-something years old and not stupid, decided that after a week of hard yakka, she was NOT keen for a long walk and would very much like to stay at the yards, thanks all the same. She was eventually 'convinced' to shuffle off behind the cows.)
yards_0329
After seeing that our little man was headed in the right direction, a view to the east of the drivers' seat caught my eye. I don't know why - something about the streamers of white clouds fanning out from the gentle green hill and the deep cobalt backdrop. yards_0337 w
As I took the shot Cherokee (Mr I's mustering gelding) poked his head in from the right.
yards_0338 e
He always looks slightly wild-eyed, even though he's really gentle as a lamb and loves a snuggle.
(I love this photo - it's my new favourite image and could well be featured on the next BB banner. What do you think?).
.
Violet had been protesting her lack of a ride all week, and finally talked her way into a seat on the pommel of Dad's saddle for the half kilometre walk back to the yards.
yards_0340 e
Can anyone say: Glee!

yards_0345

Man I miss those dimples of my little Prep girl already - time to get me busy and distracted with a week's worth of folding!

13 comments:

Susan said...

I so LOVE your blog!!! I lived in Australia when I was very young and have always wanted to return. In the meantime, I grew up on a ranch with cattle, horses, chainsaws, tractors, logging, goats... I love sharing your days, and your beautiful photos!!!
Thank you! -Susan-

Pony Girl said...

What a beautiful day! I am SO jealous of that endless sky! I love the picture of MI just in the right corner, and the one after it of Admiral's head. Those are amazing! Glad the kiddos are in school and you get a few moments to catch up on the wash, LOL!

Susan said...

Congratulations, I have chosen you to receive The Best Blog award! Here is a link to the rules:
http://thereliantself.blogspot.com/2009/12/wow-i-unexpectedly-went-out-of-town-on_17.html
And here is a link to the award image:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6C7GTnQdl64/SyMRGFARuoI/AAAAAAAAAI4/vgIBqUccAtI/s1600-h/bestblog_award.jpg
See Jan. 26 post for all my picks, and thank you for helping to enrich my life!
-Susan-

Debby said...

I'm with Pony Girl. I love that landscape and that skyscape. They go on forever and the Mr. I and his horse in their corner of that big, big world. I actually think that's my new favorite picture of yours.

Tamsyn said...

Gorgeous photos and congrats on having two 'schoolies' :)

Carla said...

Lacey is one smart girl, but she's got a few years under her cinch to figure out how to outsmart a little boy. Glad Daddy and Cherokee were there to help Dash out.

Cherokee does look like he'd be a stinker. Something about that look. He's handsome though. I love the last picture best. Daddy and his little girl.

Enjoy your quiet time and your mountain of laundry. :)

Jayke said...

Beautiful pictures! I especially love the one of the sky with Mr Incredible in the corner, it's just gorgeous.

Your kids seem to be so fearless when it comes to riding, I only hope mine will turn out the same.

Thanks for brightening my day.

Mom L said...

Thanks for taking me along! That sky is beautiful. I'm still looking at acres of snow here in Iowa. I do love it, but I need your photos to show me some of the best of the rest of the world!!!

I always love photos of Mr. I and the kids....

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Time mystery - why is it a different day in North America than it is in Aussie Land? The 25th at one place and the 24th at the other? The answer may be found inside of the first year of issue, collectible, Bush Babe Calendar. In the land of Oz, January only has 30 days - in North America we use 31. I think that would throw every thing off by one day. What do ya'll think? - Bill

BB said...

Working backwards today (so what's new?):

Bill - check in the top left of your January and you will discover the 31st. It was a special trick I threw in to see if you were paying attention Bill!! You WILL have already no doubt noticed how I put in major American and Canadian holidays for you lot? And the answer to the 'day in front' quandry? Aussie are just a bit ahead, that's all... ;-)

Mom L - gosh I'd love a little snow here. It'd melt immediately and would become so water for our fast-drying off pasture! Kisses to your grandson...

Jayke - glad you liked. My kids have their moments on the horses like anyone, but the fact is that they are surrounded by confident riders who EXPECT them to keep up. I think that's the key.

CeeCee - I enjoyed my quiet time, not the laundry!! Heh.

Tamsyn - thanks darl. Glad that boy of yours is sleeping some now.

Debby - might add it to the print list then?

Susan - thanks for the award. I really appreciate it. Can I admit (without giving offence) that I tend not to post them up or send them on. I am just not organised enough! So glad you liked your visit enough to include me though...

PG - yes it was a glorious day. My part of the world specialises in glorious sunny days - we could do with a few awful wet ones in amongst them though!

:-)
BB

Jayne said...

Love the photos, totally blissful !

Anonymous said...

BB, you are so clever. With humble regards, - bill

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Cherokee deserves a place of honor on your banner—definitely. Great photos. Your life looks so romantic and exciting. I know you'd probably say it's hard work, but from here, it looks like fun!