There's been a heap going on behind the scenes here lately...
We are preparing for branding at the moment - one of our big annual tasks as cattle producers. Jeanie is coming over - with her mustering professional Salina ready and rearing to go. We managed a mini-getaway (photos still to come) to the beach, and the normal getting-ready-for-school events and packing-as-much-as-humanly-possible-into-holidays activites.
We are preparing for branding at the moment - one of our big annual tasks as cattle producers. Jeanie is coming over - with her mustering professional Salina ready and rearing to go. We managed a mini-getaway (photos still to come) to the beach, and the normal getting-ready-for-school events and packing-as-much-as-humanly-possible-into-holidays activites.
.
So while I am juggling the myriad of events looming on my google calendars, I give you a sweet series of photos, shot just before Christmas. The set feature the three most important blokes in my life - my Dad, my husband and my son.
So while I am juggling the myriad of events looming on my google calendars, I give you a sweet series of photos, shot just before Christmas. The set feature the three most important blokes in my life - my Dad, my husband and my son.
They were setting off from our house to muster in the cattle in the next paddock...
Sharing a special man-to-man moment together...
Savouring the anticipation of the muster ahead -
and trying not to stand on the madly cavorting dogs, all ready for action...

Mentally planning the strategy of gathering the cattle as they peruse the paddock.

Briefly soaking in the vibrant verde of the pasture, after a long dry spell, before...

Setting off to seriously address the task at hand...

And effortlessly handling the job as only men of experience can.

Mentally planning the strategy of gathering the cattle as they peruse the paddock.

Briefly soaking in the vibrant verde of the pasture, after a long dry spell, before...

Setting off to seriously address the task at hand...

And effortlessly handling the job as only men of experience can.
(Can a seven-year-old with six months mustering under his belt be considered a 'man of experience'? Ask Dash, he'll soon tell you!)
.
.
But here's where you come in...
I wonder what is REALLY going on in photo number two?
If you've played my games before, you'll know I don't care about the truth.
(I can't HANDLE the truth!)
I shall give you the truth at the end of the game...
I want creativity and comedy.
You know I am just too lazy to provide it myself...
.
.
So please, leave your guess in the comments section - the one that makes us laugh (and/or spit our coffee) the most will win a 8x12" BB print of their choice.
.
I shall also do a random pick and give away this wonderful Australian movie to the lucky winner.

'The Castle' (remastered) DVD.

'The Castle' (remastered) DVD.
It's classic Aussie humour with some lines that have infiltrated the Australian vernacular -
'Tell him he's DREAMING, son!"
and
'Feel the serenity!".
Even the cover descriptions are taking the p***. I loved it's whackiness, Michael Caton as Darryl Kerrigan, the quintessential Aussie blue-collar battler - and a bonus is a young Eric Bana as 'Con Petropoulous... an accountant and amateur kickboxer'.
...
CONTEST OPEN UNTIL MONDAY 9PM (Queensland, Australia time)
Feel free to enter as many times as you like!
Feel free to enter as many times as you like!
So... what are you waiting for, my friends?
The comments section awaits your guess (and so do I!).
+++CONTEST CLOSED+++
Jeanie has been designated official adjudicator (we are all putting our votes in though) and I shall run the random number generator shortly.
Thanks for playing, girls and boys!


31 comments:
I love the pictures. They're priceless!
Photo caption---hmmmm.
"You know son, when I was your age we had to muster cattle on foot. Uphill. Both ways."
PS...I know some folks think otherwise, but I LOVE that your son is wearing a helmet. One saved my life-literally.
Well lad, if you kiss girls it will make your front teeth fall out... you haven't been kissing girls have you? - Bill
Haha I just came back from a very interesting marketing class where we had to think of a tag line for a bed that acts like an alarm clock, waking the sleeper up by…ahem…vibrating.
Needless to say my mind is in the gutter.
I think that conversation goes more in the direction of the birds and the bees:
"You see son, when a bull and a cow love each other very much…"
PS - does Dash know how and where cattle come from? I didn't get to witness an animal being born until I was well into my teens, but it was a great experience!
"I don't know why she insisted on naming you Dash. Obviously, you are a Chip....off the old blocks!"
I am so proud of you son.
It took forever to get the show on the road because someone's mother, someone's daughter, someone's wife, was dancing around, much like the dogs, except that she had a clicking and whirring camera in her hand. Dash was anxious to prove that he was a seasoned hand, and wanted to be off. Your father is telling him, "I know, boy, I know...she can get a mite carried away with that darned camera, but I guarantee you that someday, you'll be glad to have those pictures. Guarantee it!"
or maybe:
"Come on over here. Just ignore whatever your dad said and ignore the shutter bug behind us, too. I have clout and seniority and you can get away with things with me, wink...hug!"
I'm loving these pics. How awesoem for Dash to be such a confident youngun!
I'm officially banned from any mustering duties as I tend to direct cattle in the wrong direction. Thankfully the dogs are much better at it than me.
"Here's some good advice, man to man. If you don't lean to one side like I'm doing, it gets trapped in your shirt. Look at your dad."
My bad.
And I have to say, that movie is the BEST MOVIE EVER. I own it, and have watched it many times. I give it two thumbs up!
I have to say I agree with CeeCee about the helmet, mine also saved my head, even with it on I still had a concussion....anyways, I think your dad is trying to bribe Dash into getting off and opening up what looks like a gate in the next picture... How blessed you are to have generations enjoy riding together.
Love the photos as always, BB ;)
"You know, Dash, I think I used the salad oil instead of the saddle oil last night!"
Great photos BB!
How about .....Well Dash when we do find that longhorn - remember son, he's all yours - you're the one with the helmet!
"Real men don't wear helmets!:( "
..."I know son, but mama said..."
Lovely generational photo. It's a keeper.
See Debby, I know that any camera comment in relation to Dad would include the comments "mutter... mutter... mutter... who wants to look at old windmills..."
If it were a great-uncle rather than a grandpa there, I would say the comment would DEFINITELY be "ever been taken off by a professional pick-up man".
Good thing I am exempt from your giveaways - and I get to see quality Australian drama with you any time (even if it is produced by people OTHER than the family!!)
I can't compete with all the clever people here! Love the submissions. Love the photos. And love The Castle.
Please don't think I'm trying for 2 bits of the cherry, so don't count this one in your contest BB - but I just thought....
.... I know that you wanted the palmino Dash, but we're the 3 amigos and chestnuts are the go...
Sorry - I'm such a crack up - giggling to myself here!
I can't think of a thing on the spot but I'll put my mind to it today. Just wanted to say that I love the series of photos here. It's nice seeing green grass and shirt-sleeved men, as we're in the middle of winter here in the states!
I'm Back...hope that's OK:
"No mate, Your grandmother nor I felt compelled to mark her entire life on film. No worries...one day you can turn the camera back on her and watch her squirm. In the meantime...just keep on smilin'! She just loves you tons and tons, just like me!"
That "guy stuff" is so important in the making of a man!!!
excellant photo of a great memory
caption
"psst, dash man, did you bring your wallet incase we stop for ice-cream"?
or..
"stick with me kid, I'll learn ya".
signed
Theresa in ALberta
(I loved the salad/saddle oil one!! HAHAHAHA!)
I dearly want a BB print and the DVD looks like loads of fun, but there's no competing with all the great captions above. So I'll just laugh and laugh and hope you don't think I'm too much of a suck-up to say, "BB's photos RULE!" Yeah, and it's probably already Monday in OZ anyway.
C'mon Bub! Stop yer cryin'. As soon as we get around the bend outta yer mums camera view ... you can take that stupid helmet off and wear my hat.
"I know your horse is sized more like a pony, kid, but trust me, the ladies don't care about height - it's all about the length of the.... tail!"
Ahem
*crickets*
I dug a hole.
By the way, one day I drove to Bonnie Doon just to see what was there. There were 3 churches, one general store that also sold scones, a couple of houses and Not One Thing Else.
It was a good day.
BB,
Have you interviewed to discover the real discussion??? - Bill
I wish I'd said the salad oil one because that's priceless.
I know it is hard to imagine now, bu one day son you will find a girl that you will love as much as you love your horse. I found your grandmum and your dad found your mum.
"Show me the way to go home Dash, I'm tired and I wanna go to bed, I had a little drink about an hour ago and I'm slippin' right off my horse".
"A buster must know how to muster!"
??? Ok, Ok...
"We're going to Muster in the cattle, mate. The Mustard comes later when they are burgers! Always hungry, aren't ya little mustering mate?!"
OK, Grandad. Just a little lower and for a few more minutes and I'll do the next gate...I promise!
I don't wish to enter, I just wsh to roll around on that green-ness for a while!
Post a Comment