I am going to share a couple of the things that go on behind the scenes today - some photo work that gets done before I upload images. This may well bore the socks off you - if so, perhaps you'd rather read about this or this. Or just skim the words and vote for your favourite version at the end! I promise I won't hold it against you.
.
If you are remotely interested in photos, then forge on with me. But remember I am no expert. (There should be a massive disclaimer right up at the top of this blog - but I reckon the drip remark in this month's header should be hint enough, right?)
.
If you are remotely interested in photos, then forge on with me. But remember I am no expert. (There should be a massive disclaimer right up at the top of this blog - but I reckon the drip remark in this month's header should be hint enough, right?)
This is an image I snapped while driving home from Toowoomba recently. It was simply shot through the windscreen as the Prado hurtled towards Granite Glen - this stretch of road is notoriously whoopy (that's a technical term for 'not smooth'). Actually I very nearly got seasick trying to shoot it. But I was reasonably happy with this shot (which is SOOC - straight out of camera) - I liked the natural lines and balance and the mirage effect. It needed cropping slightly and I just couldn't leave alone the whole 'dull colour' thing.
What to do?

Here is my first effort. I simply played with the 'curves' tool in Photoshop (I am still plugging along in PS 7) to find a better white and punch up the contrast to better reflect what I thought was 'real'. It's what I do to most of my images. Someone recently said they liked the 'honesty' of my photos - I suspect this means that I don't do enough work on them! Heh.

Next I thought I would try the "Fresh and Colourful" action from The Pioneer Woman. This really saturates and sharpens things up - the final version is not at full blast (I reduced the opacity of the layers a little before flattening). I don't mind this action but use it judiciously - too much saturation is well... too much. Especially on faces - people can tend to look VERY sunburned.
.
Now I thought I'd push the envelope a bit more - I have to admit that I downloaded these actions from a site I picked up from Kate (Chronicles of a Country Girl) and I cannot recall the site. (I think it was here).

Most action sets have a black and white action - I quite like this one as it allows you to mess with it a bit. It's called Black and White Sepia. Feels like something from the 50's - as long as you don't look too closely at the shape of the vehicle hovering over the mirage!

This one is called Vintage.
I love that it gives a little border to the shot but I have toned back the texture layers and allowed a little more colour to seep through with this one. It appeals to me - like something printed on some very groovy rich paper.
.

Here is my first effort. I simply played with the 'curves' tool in Photoshop (I am still plugging along in PS 7) to find a better white and punch up the contrast to better reflect what I thought was 'real'. It's what I do to most of my images. Someone recently said they liked the 'honesty' of my photos - I suspect this means that I don't do enough work on them! Heh.

Next I thought I would try the "Fresh and Colourful" action from The Pioneer Woman. This really saturates and sharpens things up - the final version is not at full blast (I reduced the opacity of the layers a little before flattening). I don't mind this action but use it judiciously - too much saturation is well... too much. Especially on faces - people can tend to look VERY sunburned.
.
Now I thought I'd push the envelope a bit more - I have to admit that I downloaded these actions from a site I picked up from Kate (Chronicles of a Country Girl) and I cannot recall the site. (I think it was here).

Most action sets have a black and white action - I quite like this one as it allows you to mess with it a bit. It's called Black and White Sepia. Feels like something from the 50's - as long as you don't look too closely at the shape of the vehicle hovering over the mirage!

This one is called Vintage.
I love that it gives a little border to the shot but I have toned back the texture layers and allowed a little more colour to seep through with this one. It appeals to me - like something printed on some very groovy rich paper.
.
So your turn now...
Do you mess a lot with photos?
Would love you to share your favourite actions - pop in links if you have them please.
What is your favourite version of the road shot here?
(The BBfix, the PW Fresh&Colorful, the Black&White Sepia, or the Vintage?)
The most popular will be added to the prints section of the blog.
Thanks for playing!
22 comments:
Love both the B&W Sepia and Vintage but Vintage overall ;)
I love love LOVE the vintage!
I have PS, but I bought it for my PC which promptly went kaput before I even got the PS out of its shrinkwrap. And then, before I could return it, a new version came out and I'm stuck with it. Now I have to get one for my MacBook. So the (not so) short answer is no.
The vintage one. It's amazing how the contrast really makes the details 'pop'.
Not like corn.
LOL! I was going to say that I love, love, LOVE the vintage photo, but I see A Novel Woman beat me to it. Oh well, I still do love, love, LOVE it.
I like the Fresh/Colorful one best.
Since I'm on a Mac, I only have iPhoto to mess with. It doesn't allow much beyond messing with color and shading.
'Vintage' for me - there's just something about that shot...
I'm torn between the BBFix and the Black & White Sepia.
I'm still trying to figure out if you were shooting from the driver's seat or the passenger's. I've been known to do both (don't tell DH). ALL of your tweaks and adjustments with the picture make interesting changes.
I run an old version 6 of Photoshop 6 at home. At work I run Creavtive Suite 3--about seven upgrades over my antique home version. All it does is intimidate me.
Do I mess alot with photos? Haha. IF ONLY I had photoshop . . . and a little time . . . and a camera like yours.
I'll just enjoy your great efforts for now!!! And I always love your photos. I really actually like your final photo here, the vintage one best. (It's probably because I too and "vintage" as we speak! The year ticked over for me just yesterday.) :-)
"scuse" I meant to type "I AM" vintage. 'ts wha happens when ye gets old!
the WV is "prognat." Is that kind of like Jeanie was a few weeks ago? Cause I'm not.
Ahh, the B&W Sepia for me! And truthfully, that car in the distance actually looks like the ancient car my grandfather drove - rounded top...
Nancy in Iowa
The last one. I am just begining to play with photos.
Marilyn in Virginia
Like the last one......isn't it amasing what we can do with photo's these days...lovin it!!!
BBfix for me. That is the way I would want my mind to remember five seconds of standing on that road. - Bill
I am totally loving the vintage! I think it deserves a beautiful vintage frame as well!
Thanks for sharing!
Am in the process of learning PS and love every minute of it. Haven't tried it with my photos yet, but I can't wait to do so. The vintage! The vintage!
Fun! I like the black and white! And then, the vintage. I do adjust some things on my photos, sometimes I crop, add some light, and maybe some vignetting. I also like to make photos black and white (if I don't take them in black and white) I don't use actions because I don't have Photoshop, so I can't use them. :(
Your blog is so interesting and I have so enjoyed visiting you. I nominated you for kreativ blogger. You can visit my blog for more info. Thank you for the serious times and the fun times!
Vintage is my vote. The min I saw it -it warmed my senses. Great job and thanks for sharing all of that. I do have a huge intrest in photography and graphics. Photoshop seems to be able to somewhat combine the two passions. I however haven't had time or money to follow those passions. But following so many beautiful photography sites, has spurred me forward. That's why I appreciate those like you who share your tips to encourage the rest of us who are a litle scared to jump in. This is my first visit, thanks to Jeanne's award:) Congratulations!
I'll be back.
Blessings
Patrina <")>><
I want to have a camera like yours! Nice fine shots! Thanks for sharing!
Toowoomba?
Dang girl, you get around!
(Bump off the sex comment above, BB!)
Vintage is my fave...I use it a lot with my photos.
Post a Comment