Pages

22 January 2009

Tough yet vulnerable

Bottle trees (from the boab family) fascinate me endlessly...Officially called Brachychiton rupestris (which sounds to me like some kind of carniverous dinosaur) is described as a succulent, drought-deciduous tree.
Which basically means (as far as I can deduce) that it stores water in it's bulbous trunk for drought times (not unlike camels!) and sheds leaves when the going gets really tough.

It is an ancient-looking tree, yet wildly popular to modern landscapers...
They are proud and solid and hardy-looking, yet will choose to grow best in the richest of soils and warmer locations...
They can be messy in design, yet somehow almost bonsai-like in their deliberate artistry...
And despite the millions of years of existence as a species, the slightest injury to that unusual often-lifesaving trunk will inevitably fell them ...
I feel quite an affinity with this final observation.
Tough and sturdy-looking, yet soft-as-butter and totally vulnerable inside.

9 comments:

Jayne said...

Love these trees, lovely photos :)

Debby said...

For some reason, that second from the last picture, the bottle tree seems to have a knob for a nose and leans forward with his hands over his head threatening the little trees about him...reminds me of the apple trees in the wizard of oz.

Anonymous said...

I love Boabs too, and find them just amazing to view. Great photos BB

Anonymous said...

Thank you, BB, for a sight I never see! They are truly amazing trees.
Nancy in Atlanta

Anonymous said...

Wow, these trees are fantastic. I am always fascinated by your natural surroundings. It is so different from the prairie.

Tami Weingartner said...

As I LOVE trees...I've been intrigued by post which showed photos on these beauties! So glad you decided to elaborate.

Rose said...

Awww, what a great post!

Gone2theDawgs said...

I didn't realize they were so vulnerable! They are definitely facinating!

diane said...

i wish we had bottle trees in iowa.
they remind me of something from a dr. suess book.
someday i will visit your beautiful world :)